Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VX Towing

VX Towing

I have a scenario for the guys that take their rigs out to wherever to off road them as they are probably the ones who know how best to secure VX to a trailer. Recently retiring from the military and have a long horrible drive to florida from Hell Paso. Its about 20 hours or slower.

The vehicles that are going. 38FT Diesel pusher RV 300 HP i think it tows allot but ill have to check it. Hyundai Sonata FWD. The VX( Which is lifted on 33's) and the covered car trailer(20ft duel axle 3500 a piece). A load of house hold crap(probably about 5 thousand pounds. It currently fills the entire covered trailer).

I think the VX may have some height clearance problems with the trailer. Possible solutions: Pull off the roof rack. Deflate tires.

The sonata fits perfectly in the covered trailer.

I didn't see any big D rings to tie down the vehicle to in the trailer.

I am a Black Hawk pilot by trade. I know the how to haul stuff in the air a hell of allot better than on the road. All input will be appreciated.

And also am limited with two drivers.

I did my military move,3 vehicles, one trailer, two drivers. We opted to door to door ship the VX and my wife's trooper RS. Door to door shipping for a vehicle should be around 1000 bucks. I would say, ship the VX, keep the miles off of her, especially since they are terrible at long freeway speeds as far as burning oil. Throw the hyundai in the trailer, tow it behind the RV. Then you only really need one driver.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    AFAIK....

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnybin View Post
    I have a scenario for the guys that take their rigs out to wherever to off road them as they are probably the ones who know how best to secure VX to a trailer.
    ....all VX's drive to Moab and other off roading on their own 4 wheels!

And hopefully...drive home too..
    ...though a couple have been hauled away from the stoop on trailers!!

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Not entirely true. I trailered my vx out there first trip. Drove her out the second time. U need to check the capacity of our enclosed trailer. Vx weighs in over 4000lbs.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    .. which is why I said...

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Not entirely true. I trailered my vx out there first trip. Drove her out the second time. U need to check the capacity of our enclosed trailer. Vx weighs in over 4000lbs.
    .... AFAIK

Jo

I have a 38 ft diesel pusher and tow my VX on a trailer. You can hardly tell the load is back there. I even towed without trailer brakes and the motor home stopped both with no problem(not recommended). I use wheel bonnets to hold the VX to the trailer. I mark each wheel bonnet to each wheel so I don't have to change adjustments. It takes about 4 or 5 minutes to load and strap down. If you tow your car a lot on a trailer and strap the frame to the trailer, the car will still move a little and wear the suspension and shocks causing a worn spot. By using the wheel bonnets the suspension is free to move so the wear is spread out over the normal suspension travel.
    Mike

AFA...my AFAIK goes...

Jo
    Last edited by JoFotoz : 02/21/2014 at 08:07 PM

You may also want to check the state laws you will be passing through. Most have laws on how they are to be secured...most require cross strapping.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I think I will put the VX in the trailer. Thanks for the responses. What's the best way to shed a bit of height off and secure down to the trailer? Will wheel bonnets be enough or do I need something on the frame? Thanks

What is AKAIK?

Its my HORRIBLE typing...

What is AKAIK?
    ... I fixed it.

AFAIK... my bad!

Jo

Wheel bonnets with GOOD ratchets should be fine...

I think I will put the VX in the trailer. Thanks for the responses. What's the best way to shed a bit of height off and secure down to the trailer? Will wheel bonnets be enough or do I need something on the frame? Thanks

But shedding height by deflating tires probably doesnt go well with this method of securing..

How much height do you need to lose?

Jo

Here is what I haul my VX in. It's a diesel puller and my home.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10135...CI_4gbfcqNKAKw

will put together another album. I have over the tire straps and they work well. Have pretty much stock tires though. Over 5000 miles with the VX either in the truck or trailer. Never moved and only got loose the first time the straps were used.(Initial stretch I assume.)

Rod

https://plus.google.com/photos/10135...CNas88yTkImuFA
    Photos of the VX on the first trip in the truck

https://plus.google.com/photos/10135...Lz33cbF8KT5gQE

First loading in trailer.
    Last edited by RodL : 02/22/2014 at 06:12 AM Reason: added photo link.

If you strap the VX by the wheels it will bounce up and down on the suspension, but if you pack your household goods all around the VX it will be rubbing up and down on everything packed around it. If you are going to do that strap the frame down instead.
    Mike