Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CV Boot Replacement Plan - Correct me where I am wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Tom...no need to seperate ball joints. You just remove the 4 bolts that mount it to the control arm. Much easier.
    Yah, I didn't learn that trick till after I'd done it the last time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I am working on this now and cannot seem to get the ball joint bracket over the lower control arm. What am I doing wrong?

Help!

It must come down before clearing lower control arm. If your upper control arm will not come down low enough if you have a spare jack you can raise the lower control arm slightly. I am sure you can figure it out though. Just pull the ball joint plate thing down and rotate it diagonally slightly.

I bought boots at my local Napa and they seemed fine. I recommend getting the CV boot clamp tool, makes things a lot easier, like $30.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    It must come down before clearing lower control arm. If your upper control arm will not come down low enough if you have a spare jack you can raise the lower control arm slightly. I am sure you can figure it out though. Just pull the ball joint plate thing down and rotate it diagonally slightly.
    X2.

An extra jack under the LCA - then wiggle, curse, pull, shove ...

Actually it's not that bad once you lift up on the LCA with the extra jack.

Thank you both for your replies. I did get past that point only to run into more trouble.

I finally got everything removed, cleaned and ready for re-assembly and as I was putting my outer boot on and burping out the air, I see that there is a small tear in the brand new dorman boot that I bought. So my VX is currently sitting on a jack stand and I am going to have to get another new boot. I wont return the other one until I get something to replace it. Its currently keeping the outer CV clean.

In the process, I came across a few items that I had questions about.

1. one of the ball bearings from the inner CV fell on the garage floor. Should I be too concerned about damage? It looks fine.

2. When the ball joint was resting on the lower control arm, some of the lubricant/greese from the ball joint was forced out of the bottom. Is that a problem?

3. When repacking the grease back into the inner CV, do I just put a glob in there and then put the CV back in, then pack more grease in?

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Hopefully this CV saga will end and I will have enough knowledge to make this quicker/easier the second time around.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    Thank you both for your replies. I did get past that point only to run into more trouble.

WooHoo. Ain't it funner-n-innythang.

I finally got everything removed, cleaned and ready for re-assembly and as I was putting my outer boot on and burping out the air, I see that there is a small tear in the brand new dorman boot that I bought. So my VX is currently sitting on a jack stand and I am going to have to get another new boot. I wont return the other one until I get something to replace it. Its currently keeping the outer CV clean.

Bummer. Mebbe you can patch it with some RTV & keep as a spare. Where was the tear?

In the process, I came across a few items that I had questions about.

1. one of the ball bearings from the inner CV fell on the garage floor. Should I be too concerned about damage? It looks fine.

Nope. They are hardened steel. Yer good.

2. When the ball joint was resting on the lower control arm, some of the lubricant/greese from the ball joint was forced out of the bottom. Is that a problem?

Should be OK.

3. When repacking the grease back into the inner CV, do I just put a glob in there and then put the CV back in, then pack more grease in?

That's perzakly what I did.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

It's what we do.

Hopefully this CV saga will end and I will have enough knowledge to make this quicker/easier the second time around.

Hope you don't have to.

Thanks Tom. The tear was close to the large side of the boot. The tear wasnt all the way through. It actually looked like a flaw in the manufacturing, but I definitely wasnt about to assemble everything only to redo the process in a week.

I am going to try the NAPA boot. From some reading on a few "high lift" forums, they say they are pretty meaty. Figure they cant be any worse than not working. Plus Bart said they worked fine for him.

If the tear is under the band, then it'll be fine. I agree though that it'd be safer to get a new one.

Update:

I got the new boots from Napa. They were MUCH beefier than the dorman ones. They appear downright OEM(ish).

I got both the outer and inner since the quality seemed better, I am going to replace both, but save my inner as a spare.

I have one new question though, the NAPA inner boot (separate part number) contains a larger bag of green grease. Seems less "greasy" in the bag than the black smaller bag for the outer, but maybe I am wrong. Its a larger area to fill with grease though.

Can I just use any old "CV Grease" in the inner and not worry about it?

EDIT:

Reading some "googles" looks like green might be better....Hopefully I dont booger it up.

IIRC, I just put the provided pouches away & used synthetic axle grease instead.

I completed my passenger side CVBoot swap last night. I have yet to take it for a test drive, but everything seems okay based on visual inspection alone.

During said visual inspection, I did a compare against my driver side to make sure I didnt forget anything and realized that my driver side boot is very very worn and appears to be on its way to splits-ville. I will be replacing those boots in the next couple days.

I have no road experience with them, but after holding an OEM, Dorman, and NAPA CV Boot in my hand, I can tell you that the NAPA feels the most heavy duty. Feels like they could take some hits without breaking.

Now that you've done it once the next one will be a breeze. Should be a 2 hour job
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    ... but after holding an OEM, Dorman, and NAPA CV Boot in my hand, I can tell you that the NAPA feels the most heavy duty. Feels like they could take some hits without breaking.
    Yah, I'd posted this pic a long time ago (L-R: AutoZone, MechaTech, Dorman):

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Now that you've done it once the next one will be a breeze. Should be a 2 hour job

Wouldnt that be nice.