Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for VX-experienced mechanics in Colorado??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wrench Recommendations for VX-experienced mechanics in Colorado??

Hello everybody!

I'm a new member to this forum, and though I don't own my own Vehicross yet (despite dreaming about them since '99!), I think I am finally in a position to get one Hmm, I guess I should THANK my boyfriend for rolling my Level II Ranger...

I've noticed that there seem to be quite a few VX owners here in Colorado, so I was hoping to maybe get some recommendations for good mechanics in the area that are actually familiar with these cars. I live in Ft Collins, but would be more than happy to travel a bit if it meant having someone experienced and trustworthy for any work it needs that myself or my mechanically-inclined family members can't handle...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks all, and I am super happy to have found this forum!

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Welcome and hope that ownership becomes reality for you soon.

Tynan's VW in the Denver area use to be the Isuzu dealership and many of the trained techs are still there.

Also near Arapahoe and I-25 is a local place that has done recommended work. Antero Automotive and Truck. Their phone number is (303) 708-8855. http://anteroautomotiveandtruck.com/.

Walker Transmission has been used several times as well by some. http://www.walkertrans.com/ 303-421-2104
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Thanks, Mile High VX! I appreciate it, and will definitely keep those contacts in mind for when I finally find 'the one'

Just out of curiosity, went and looked at an overpriced '99 silver VX on a Westminster lot today that they just picked up at an auto auction on Friday. They hadn't even gotten around to evaluating or detailing it yet... and the poor thing was absolutely trashed! Reeked of smoke, cigarette butts and ash EVERYWHERE, and horribly filthy. Paint was faded and peeling, cladding was practically the same dirty silver color as the car... And yet, for all that, it drove surprising OK and I actually enjoyed our little test drive (aside from the beating my lungs took from breathing in the horrendous stench). I hope their detailers are magicians, 'cause it's going to take a miracle to clean that baby out. I can't believe anybody would treat their car that way, let alone such an awesome thing as a Vehicross! For shame

Alas, the hunt continues...

That must be the one at Stan's...it looked beat in the photos.

McClosky's in the Springs has one that is almost ready as well.

Don't worry about finding one close. Find one you like and then have a fellow forum member go check it out for you. If it's right, then ship it to CO.

Lot's of great testimonials here about doing just that, or fly out and drive it back. Great roadtrips in the VX are legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    That must be the one at Stan's...it looked beat in the photos.

McClosky's in the Springs has one that is almost ready as well.

Don't worry about finding one close. Find one you like and then have a fellow forum member go check it out for you. If it's right, then ship it to CO.

Lot's of great testimonials here about doing just that, or fly out and drive it back. Great roadtrips in the VX are legendary.
    Yep, definitely the one at Stan's.

And I actually called on the one at McClosky's, and they said they weren't going to offer it for sale after all because it had 'mechanical issues that they could not fix'. Said they were going to unload it (which I assume means send it to auction).

I'm rather interested in a few that are out of state (and are for sale by other forum members here). Just got to figure out if it is within my budget/schedule to buy out of state and roadtrip it back!

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmitten View Post

I'm rather interested in a few that are out of state (and are for sale by other forum members here). Just got to figure out if it is within my budget/schedule to buy out of state and roadtrip it back!
    The one in Utah that arcobarco has up for sale is supposed to be very nice!

There is a Dragon Green in Lincoln, NE that looks good but needs some TLC.

You'll find the right one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmitten View Post
    Yep, definitely the one at Stan's.

And I actually called on the one at McClosky's, and they said they weren't going to offer it for sale after all because it had 'mechanical issues that they could not fix'. Said they were going to unload it (which I assume means send it to auction).

This one's down to $5,995...drop it another $3K and it might be worth it...

Any good ones in the DFW area time for a timeing belt etc change! thanks much.

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Update on the maintenance I had done yesterday. The shop is
    Famous Auto Crafters
    1950 W Union Ave
    Englewood, CO 80110
    303-386-6272

It is a small unassuming shop in a automotive business park. Anthony is the experienced Isuzu tech and has owned a few VXs himself. I spoke with him quite a bit and he is definitely one of us. I'm very happy with the work he did and have no reservations recommending them. He did some extra stuff for me such as lube all the grease fittings, paint my rear rotors, and replaced a missing lug nut at no charge. Thumbs up!
    There's no 'I' in denial.

I wish I lived closer I'd take advantage of that in a heartbeat. My experience has been the only mechanic I trust completely is myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    That Dragon Green is on Ebay with a starting bid of $3,995...if you could get it for $4K it would be a good deal perhaps...

There is a new Dragon Green down in the Springs at McCloskey's with only 79K miles. Be warned they have it listed for over $12K.
    Quote Originally Posted by bartmanS4 View Post
    Famous Auto Crafters
    1950 W Union Ave
    Englewood, CO 80110
    303-386-6272

It is a small unassuming shop in a automotive business park. Anthony is the experienced Isuzu tech and has owned a few VXs himself. I spoke with him quite a bit and he is definitely one of us. I'm very happy with the work he did and have no reservations recommending them. He did some extra stuff for me such as lube all the grease fittings, paint my rear rotors, and replaced a missing lug nut at no charge. Thumbs up!
    That's great to hear! Thanks for the update and recommendation! I have already been in contact with Anthony a few times to get quotes on some different work, and definitely got the impression that he has A LOT of experience with these cars. I am totally OK with making the small trip down to Denver for a good mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmanS4 View Post
    Famous Auto Crafters
    1950 W Union Ave
    Englewood, CO 80110
    303-386-6272

It is a small unassuming shop in a automotive business park. Anthony is the experienced Isuzu tech and has owned a few VXs himself. Thumbs up!
    I went by here today to see about a timing belt change quote...Anthony is the mechanic that rebuilt all of the VXs for Richard Payne at Detail Driven Autos in Fort Collins. He knows his stuff and loves the VX.

He gave me a fair quote for the work, which I'll get to in the next few months.

Was great to see a familiar face and he is certainly able to take care of the needs of our VXers in the Denver area.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO RICHARD PAYNE?

(Old timers will appreciate the ALL CAPS post.)
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

I wish you the best of luck. I'm currently going through a nightmare with my VX cause 02 sensor and EVAP sensor refuse to read Ready even though i replaced the 02 sensors. No one in central texas will even touch it. I'm at the end of my rope and have driven the car over a total of 2,000 miles since I've owned it. Buying my VX even though it's a great car, looks great, drives great. But at the end of the day it won't inspect. And auto part stores maybe if your lucky will carry the part you need. This was the worst decision I've ever made with buying a vehicle.

I feel like my only hope is to garage keep it until it's 25 years old and no longer has to have an inspection.