Thread: Lower intake manifold blew

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lower intake manifold blew

I see lots of thread on the lower intake manifold but not on adjacent systems that may need maintenance. My engine is nasty and appearing unkept. The symptoms of intake were crazy idling hanging out around 2500. The engine is wobbly when running and shaking the entire car. Through a multiple misfire code and to engine to lean. Then with using a stethoscope and a solid rod I found the high pitched rpm driven whine coming from the lower I take manifold. A mechanic confirmed the leak. It is a very loud sound and at first I did not know what it was. Probably a seasoned mechanic could have diagnosed this from a block away.

What other things should I take care of while I have it apart?

Thermostat and gasket is one thought. Is the timing belt around there? Maybe checking the valve clearance? Sensors that should be cleaned? Id like this VX running freshly. Last owner did not show any signs of maintenance.

I think my question shows my proficiency level in this engine and any engine.
    Last edited by Vinnybin : 04/02/2014 at 07:04 PM Reason: to answer some essential questions other users asked which makes the thread more readable.