Thread: Rebuilt OEM shocks.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I really liked the ride difference after I changed out the non OEM shocks. The OEM socks perform great with the 2 inch lift and larger tires. The socks I took off were the adjustable Rancho shocks that are used by many on the forum, and they seem to be fans of them. I was not. The firm OEM ride is one of the traits I like. The wheels feel steady and when the road gets bumpy the shocks do a really good job of keeping the big tires under control. The price was worth maintaining the superior OEM shocks, and ride.
    Last edited by arcobarco : 01/14/2016 at 05:45 AM Reason: Typo

Thanks

Thanks for the update !

Quote Originally Posted by arcobarco View Post
    First of all I have to say if you own the VX and are worried about cost buy a Honda.
    To rebuild the stock shocks it will cost more than any after market shocks.
    Simple questions deserve simple answers. From Matt:

"The original rebuild is around $950, due to the need for 'rebuildable' aluminum seal heads from KYB. These are $70 each so they add $280 to the first rebuild price. After the initial rebuild, they can once again be rebuilt for just $140 per shock, which includes a new oil seal and oil. It can take approximately 2 weeks to rebuild. If you have any questions feel free to call or email."

I have a spare set that I'm about to send in for rebuild. After that, I'll be selling the set I currently have on the truck in the event someone wants to send those in for rebuild. I'm amenable to sending them straight to Matt to save on the extra shipping cost if you'd like.

Simple questions deserve simple answers. From Matt:

"The original rebuild is around $950, due to the need for 'rebuildable' aluminum seal heads from KYB. These are $70 each so they add $280 to the first rebuild price. After the initial rebuild, they can once again be rebuilt for just $140 per shock, which includes a new oil seal and oil. It can take approximately 2 weeks to rebuild. If you have any questions feel free to call or email."

Not sure if I'd ever consider that much for a shock rebuild....and I'm used to higher priced Bilsteins for my sportscar. They are only $300 for a set of 4. That said, if being open-minded, I have to ask why it LOOKS like these rebuilds still have the original rubber bushings? For that much, I'd think everything would be replaced!
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette