Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Custom Made Hood Scoop

ditch the fan idea seriously
    freedom is not free~the job is never done

The skiplate holds in so much heat that the car always runs at least 10 degrees hotter. At low speeds it builds up to the point that it starts becoming a problem. Its not a matter of do I think it will be cool. It's a matter of Its going to be cooler. My other option is to redesign the skidplate for better airflow. (which actually makes much more sense) Perhaps you are right. I'm going to at least put an aux fan on the radiator though. On hot summer days in the desert crawling with my pokey buds, it still will tend to get hot.
    Its the thrill of the chase

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987

If you can imagine this..........

If anyone is going to fab a 'glass or CF hood or insert replacement, I've been toying with an idea that would look something like if you were to unbolt the insert, raise either the front or rear of the insert about 2-1/2 inches, fill in the angled openings on the sides and provide a 1 inch lip at the bottom of the scoop to deter the enterance of water and debris. I'll try to post a rough drawing of this later, unless someone else can do it.

By all means... lets see what you can come up with.

Zu4TWO has a nice little carbon fiber hood scoop on his VX. Saw it in person at the last get together and it looks quite good!
    Zu4TWO'a hood scoop
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I think he said it did not make a measurable difference in engine temp?

I just built another fiberglass hood insert, looks stock, however I took the insert off, and screwed the two top inside nuts upside down, leaving about 4 threads showing on the bottom side, to lift up the center back of the insert, then bolt the rest down, and it is working really good.

I'll post pics Friday.

Rickster

Zu42's scoop looks really nice, I think something like that, only fiberglassed in, is more what I had in mind. Very nice dude.

I really like Zu's hood scoop, and I think the CF one they sell would match the fiber pattern of my insert. But looking at the pictures he posted on the gallery, isn't the air opening supposed to face forward, or is it just the preference of the user?

He is using it as a heat extractor. Facing forward would be more for air intake...or so I believe!

Here's my very rough paint image for a fabbed hood or insert

Whadya think?
    Last edited by SGT.BATGUANO : 11/28/2003 at 12:57 PM

seriously bad photochop

try try try again

No kidding. I am only trying to show the idea and get opinions on the general idea. I think the idea is sound and fits the VX. I'll freely admit I'm not a great paint or Pshop editor and I had no intention of making anyone think this is a real product. I would like to gauge interest and see if someone like RON? might take an interest in fabbing either a complete hood or a bolt-on insert like this. A design using the full width of the front or rear of the insert should allow for much better intake or cooling airflow.
    Last edited by SGT.BATGUANO : 11/28/2003 at 01:01 PM

With an insert like that, maybe it would make sense to have both an intake and an extractor. For the intake, maybe it would make sense for there to be additional ducting beneath the insert to direct the airflow "apropriately" - the idea being to avoid the case where the air comes in the intake, and then flows directly to the extractor without having any real effect on the engine temps.

Sarge's Scoop

Sgt Batguano, photoshop skills aside, I gotta say I like the forward facing scoop, although would think if it were a little narrower it might visually fit better, but that's just personal prefernce. You can play with the pcture to see what works best.

I've been looking at some of the scoops on this site and think a forward facing scoop may accent the agressiveness of the VX and if it were functional would help cool off the enigine by forcing air in - as real hood scoops are made to do, not just the cosmetic ones we've seen since Fast & Furious became popular. You know like with real old school hot rods. And if you want the carbon fiber look, maybe getting someone to coat the scoop and entire insert in CF would be slick.

Keep thinking and playing around man. That's how we innovate and stay unique.