Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RIP VX engine :(

RIP VX engine :(

Well, after limping along for about a year, the inevitable happened yesterday and my VX's engine has apparently shot craps. Started out with MUCHO oil consumption, running hot, occasional puffs of ugly grey smoke. Yesterday, we transitioned to full time overheating (despite oil topped off), LOTS of grey smoke, and the engine laboring and finally refusing to move the VX forward.

I suspect bad rings or possibly a shot head gasket. We're going to do a post mortem early next week and I'll let you folks know for sure. In the meantime, assuming worst case scenario, I have begun looking into remanufactured 3.5L engines -- since this appears to be the most expeditious means to return my truck to happy healthy duty.

I've found several options but would welcome the informed opinion of anyone in the group who may have gone thru this themselves with their own VX. I already have learned enough to make sure that the rebuilt engine is equipped with extra holes drilled for appropriate oil flow. And while the engine is out I'll probably fix/replace any accessory items that are readily available for R&Ring. Aside from that, any suggestions would be welcome.

Hoping to have this all handled within the next 2 to 3 weeks, if possible. Guess we'll see.....

Were you checking the coolant in the radiator to determine the level and whether any oil was present, or did you just check the oil?

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Were you checking the coolant in the radiator to determine the level and whether any oil was present, or did you just check the oil?
    X2. Grey smoke points more to coolant burning off. It would be blue smoke if it was mainly oil burning. The overheating would also be most quickly related to coolant loss. Maybe/hopefully just a head gasket?

if i ever had to replace the 3.5l i would not do it with another 3.5l - they seem to have the oil burn problem WAY worse than the 3.2l engines - and you dont get much more torque or hp out of the 3.5l compared to the 3.2l anyways - probably cheaper and more readily available as well

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    if i ever had to replace the 3.5l i would not do it with another 3.5l - they seem to have the oil burn problem WAY worse than the 3.2l engines - and you dont get much more torque or hp out of the 3.5l compared to the 3.2l anyways - probably cheaper and more readily available as well
    My 3.2 burns way more than my 3.5 (statistical sample of one).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Upgrade to a 5MT while you're in there

I hope everything goes well.

Stuff a HEMI under that hood!
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

I'd stuff a diesel 5 speed in that puppy! Wish I had of done that to mine when I rebuilt the 3.5.

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Where would you source the diesel from Buffy?
    There's no 'I' in denial.

If I were to do a diesel conversion I'd use the 4JB1-T 2.8L engine. Its more reliable and has less issues than any of the subsequent engines (3.1 and 3.0L). Note you'd have to go with the transmission swap for this as well. and you'd very likely lose TOD.

It was available in Troopers (Bighorns) and Rodeos outside of north america.

T.
    '01 Keiser VX/'85 Defender 110/'97 Disco XD

Just a thought: was there not a member in the forum who imported a crate engine from overseas? It was from isuzu and manufactured in the last 5 years. Solved all the problems too... hmmm

Thanks guys, for all the informative feedback and suggestions. Today we ran a compression test and several other tests. Bottom line, the engine is shot. Gonna need a new one. I'm told that I will need a long block motor (all belts, guides etc.). Found a cost effective one online: http://www.123engine.com/isuzu1.php

Look like a good option to you folks?

Quote Originally Posted by angeno View Post
    Found a cost effective one online: http://www.123engine.com/isuzu1.php

Look like a good option to you folks?
    One member had a nightmare with 123engine.com (do a search and you will find several threads.) May have been a fluke, but you might want to search for more information. I've got a rebuilt Jasper engine in my Mustang GT, going on 15 years. I've heard they offer Isuzu long blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmanS4 View Post
    Where would you source the diesel from Buffy?
    There are several members on PlanetIsuzoo.com who import them. I would go with the 2.8 mechanical version since no computers are involved. I've always wanted a diesel VX. I know they had diesel Troopers overseas so it should be fairly simple to convert. You would probably have to have new drive shafts made though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    One member had a nightmare with 123engine.com (do a search and you will find several threads.) May have been a fluke, but you might want to search for more information. I've got a rebuilt Jasper engine in my Mustang GT, going on 15 years. I've heard they offer Isuzu long blocks.
    Good to know. I have heard of Jasper engines, but understand they are HYPER retail $$$$$ !!!