Thread: Advice: U.S. Vehicle Shipping Carriers

Advice: U.S. Vehicle Shipping Carriers

Anyone ever used a vehicle shipper that had decent rates and a good experience?

Looks like I may be getting restationed in Germany this September. I was weighing the costs of shipping (my VX) to Germany versus shipping it to relatives in WA for long term garaged storage. Our primary will be my wife's Xterra which will be more practical. Uncle Sam generally pays for one vehicle to go overseas with you.

I am currently stationed at Fort Benning Georgia. It was pricey when I drove across the US to get here from California (gas and enroute repairs). Just weighing the comparison this time in shipping to Washington state where I have in-laws.

I have never used an auto shipping company before and hoping someone has experience in this area. I received online quotes for about $1400 in an open transport.
    -Wekilled
    douglaswekell(at)gmail.com

Shipped a WRX from Fl to Tx on an open carry, and it was $600. Given you're going almost 2x the distance, the price sounds reasonable.

If it were me, though, I'd take that mo fo to Germany(!), and then drive it all over Europe, b/c I can guaran-d@mn-tee you, Europe (minus England and Russia) isn't ready for the VehiCROSS! :thumbsup:

Many of us have used Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS). They're a reputable carrier, UNLIKE MANY MANY others.
    http://www.dasautoshippers.com
    There's numerous horror stories of shippers that up the price after trasnport is underway, and won't give you the car until you pay more.

Ebay uses DAS as one of it's acceptable/recommended carriers.
    I shipped my VX from VA to AZ for $1,000

Another way to do it is to try uship.com. Is pretty much works like ebay. It has feedback scores just like ebay so you can really read about the shipper and how other customers rated them. There's more space available for reviews, so you get good detail.

You have something you want, and there are people/companies that have that service. You list your info (date or date range, pick up location, drop off location etc...) and shippers respond to your listing and bid for your job, based on your parameters.
    You can also set a price and shippers can decide if they'll do it for your price.

Shippers love this u-ship stuff because they can fill in with some work when they otherwise might be driving that way empty....now they can fill in that gap.

I shipped a motorcycle from Chicago to my little town in AZ and all the name brand carriers, inclusing DAS were in the $800-$950 range. I used U-ship and got it for $575, the price I set.

I also used U-Ship to get bids to move my mother from Long Beach to Prescott. I got many responses, and I worked with one shipper and worked out all the details and it was perfect....and wayyyyyy cheaper than any conventional mover. One shipper had some type of military truck that he used for moving items. It was open transport so I couldn't go with it, but I got another guy that had an enclosed truck, and we worked out the details through u-ship. Both of my experiences were fantastic, super good customer service, and both had 100% feedback scores. Ironically, both were ex military and just have been doing this type stuff to pick up extra money.

It's super SAFE too....you pay u-ship, and they don't release the funds to the shipper until the job is over and I'm satisfied, then I authorize u-ship to release the payment to them.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I've used Montway Auto Transport (broker) on a number of occasions.

Found them through u-ship and then checked their prices directly on their site and always seemed cheaper.

http://www.montway.com

Both times it was from southern california to NY state. Was under $1000 on each occasion. No issues and in both cases I had updates and communications directly with the driver as to the delivery schedule, etc..

Will use again if I need to.

T.
    '01 Keiser VX/'85 Defender 110/'97 Disco XD

I priced it out and found a shipper. It is actually to take it to Germany! Might be the only VXer in the country!

Quote Originally Posted by wekilled View Post
    I priced it out and found a shipper. It is actually to take it to Germany! Might be the only VXer in the country!
    Hell yeah! Now *that's* what I'm talking about!

Rock Europe with the VX!