Thread: I noticed my power steering fluid leak...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I noticed my power steering fluid leak...

...was getting worse. I've had it since I've had the truck, but it has just required filling every 6 months or so. It's been a slow and steady loss of fluid. Last weekend, we changed the upper and lower ball joints on both sides, and the inner and outer boots on both sides, as well. As this is a messy job, when finished, I sprayed under the truck w/a high pressure water hose. The next day, when leaving work, I noticed a puddle on the ground in front of the truck. It had bled out all the p.s. fluid. So I topped it off, and it lasted for a few days, but it was almost empty again yesterday. This morning I finally decided to ascertain where the issue was so I could fix it. I spent the better part of 4 hours tracking down the leak. I had mentioned @ one of the VX meet ups this spring that I was going to replace the rack, as I thought that's where the leak was coming from. I was also anticipated a bad gear box or pump, but those were ruled out as the leak was coming from somewhere near the radiator. Turns out it's a hose, which is a good thing in the grand scheme of things.

This is where it gets awesome. In order to get to the hose, I had to remove the radiator and the radiator fan.....which I had to remove a few weeks ago when the radiator sprung a leak. I hate, hate, hate having to do things twice, as it is a colossal waste of time.

Ordered the hose, it'll be here sometime this week. It's a pain to remove it, as it attaches to the pump. I'm planning on completing the removal before the new part arrives.
    Last edited by eternal21 : 07/14/2014 at 09:15 AM