Thread: Rear View Mirror - Roof Mount

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rear View Mirror - Roof Mount

I have thrown this idea around in my head for a while now...well ever since I busted it off, off roading (headbutt).

Id rather not cut into the head liner only to find that there is nothing I can attach it to. Has anyone seen a couple/few inches back mid windshield headliner?

Another idea was to just use magnets, and have them connect across the headliner. (weight issue, etc...)

Before this, I had already moved the rear view mirror up as high as it could go as it always bugged me there almost dead center in the way of view. Since it has been gone, I really dont miss it, but .....
    Last edited by JHarris1385 : 07/29/2014 at 06:59 PM

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    Has anyone seen a couple/few inches back mid windshield headliner?
    Nah, too afraid of messing up George Barris's siggy

Sorry, that's an inside joke for the old timers ... PO had George Barris sign the headliner with a sharpie ... was NOT considered a good upgrade by other members!

PM etlsport. I think he had part of his headliner down whenever they were chasing his windshield rust issue.

Who was it that added the console to their cieling, they'd be the best to contact?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I've had my VX for a while, I remember when you bought yours. Very classy upgrade and better than my Alex Trebek sig.

CoastieCoasta did that scoop, that's right.

I'm wondering if a magnet glued to the mirror and one glued to the roof would work. Not sure why but the placement bugs me. I like the bare windshield but need those lights at times.

Hmmmmmm....why do you have a rearview mirror in the first place? You really can't see anything out back using it, anyway. I pulled it down over 2 years ago. About a month ago I replaced it, and my stereo, and did this, instead:

Rooted Chinese Android phone (Zopo C2)....quad core, 12GB internal memory, 64GB microsd, FHD display (1920 x 1080) w/Gorilla Glass, camera shoots in 13mp, video in 1080p. It connects to my OBDII reader so I have real-time engine data, Google Maps + Waze, music, GPS calibrated speed, etc. I rooted my cellphone and it has hotspot capability, providing Internet connectivity for the "carpc". To keep it all stealth, I put a mirrored cover on it so that it flips over the screen when I park/want to go incognito. I tasked a bunch of the functions so that connection to my phone hotspot triggers a series of actions to activate apps/functions I want. A much better use of the space, IMHO. I'll be posting a write-up in my build thread over the next few days.

This works nicely as long as you have some of these: http://www.amazon.com/niceeshop-Univ...qid=1406819607 I picked some up for a del sol I had a loooooooooong time ago that had a horrible blind spot. Ever since that car, I've installed these mirrors on every single vehicle I have owned, including my M3. They totally negate needing a rear view mirror, at least for me.

If you need the mirror lights, that's nothing that a strategically placed LED strip won't fix.
    Last edited by eternal21 : 07/31/2014 at 08:30 AM

thats great!

Good call, just an led strip would suffice.

Looking forward to your write up...

Wow, way fancier than mine, but I went with a full digital rearview mirror 5+ years ago. It is dual layer, mirror over screen so if you change the focus of your eyes, you can still see the mirror, but otherwise it is rear view digitally. Dual inputs so I have a camera on the spoiler for straight back, and one facing down for the hitch and reverse for wheeling and trailer connecting. I love your setup!

and you can change the video to 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or full and orient it from either the left of right. I drive with it on, and always keep it just as shown.

It was meant as a back-up camera, so the grid doesn't work for distance with the camera pointing straight out. I mounted on the LED bar, with foam tape for vibration, and stainless steel screws into the plastic led bar.

I run it full screen all the time now, I have gotten so used to it. Added one to my other trucks as well. Need to put one in the RS, never got around to it I guess. I even have an extra screen and camera sitting in the garage...lol, laziness.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Wow, way fancier than mine, but I went with a full digital rearview mirror 5+ years ago. It is dual layer, mirror over screen so if you change the focus of your eyes, you can still see the mirror, but otherwise it is rear view digitally. Dual inputs so I have a camera on the spoiler for straight back, and one facing down for the hitch and reverse for wheeling and trailer connecting. I love your setup!
    Thank you A few years ago I had a carPC setup w/some Sony CCD mini cams and a 4 channel USB DVR setup, but that was a lot of stuff to haul around, even though the machine (Dell 140G) form factor was small. Then, I put a Samsung Galaxy Tab in there a couple years ago http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19845 but that was a bit too big. Fast forward to now, and technology has gotten smaller and better.

This is a lot better for me. The main thing I was concerned about is having a forward facing DVR. Blackbox DVRs are all the rage in Europe & Asia, and with all the fraud nowadays, one can understand why. I have this one set up so that all the vids are dropped into one particular folder, then when I get home and it connects to the wireless, they are pushed to my network storage, and then deleted from the phone. The system turns off at night @ a preset time, and back on in the morning (once again, preset time), so it's ready to go when I head out to work. The network storage keeps the vids for 7 days, then deletes it. This is also great for documenting offroad adventures, etc.

Since I picked up a FLIR, I'm eventually going to have to add another 7" screen just to see the output, as Android devices don't have video input, and when I do that, I'll most likely add a rear camera, as well.
    Last edited by eternal21 : 07/31/2014 at 03:34 PM

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

When I did my overhead console, I cut a hole in the H L that was gonna get covered anyway. After marking the attachment points, I epoxied pieces of 1/4" thick plywood to the top side of the H L to fasten it with wood screws.

Problem solved, Problem staying solved...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    FWIW, this guy seems to have the rear view problem sorted...

Every time I have to have the windshield replaced I just have them install a separate mount for the rear view as high up on the windshield as possible. That way when you move the mirror as high as the arm will turn it you actually have much better rear visibility. I still have a rear view camera running to my head unit at all times, but I normally don't need it. Been doing the higher mount since '05 and love it!
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...hp?photo=12101

Plus I am 6'4" and anything lower then that obstructs my view quite a lot. That is normally the first thing I do when I drive a car for the first time push the rear view to the ceiling, but with the VX I had to add another mount.
    Last edited by LittleBeast : 08/04/2014 at 07:44 PM