Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on a New Windshield

Recommendations on a New Windshield

My truck was parked at a Publix yesterday - when I finished shopping with the wife and returned to the truck there was a 12 inch crack extending from the passenger side roof pillar towards the center. No idea why - no obvious chips in the glass from impact.

In any case, I looked at a few threads but most were several years old - any recommendations on where to best get it repaired? I remember one thread about a second option for a windshield that had tinting across the top? Any help would be appreciated.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

RockAuto - $128 +
    LFen

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    I had mine replaced about 15 months ago by NOVUS Auto Glass. They are nationwide and probably in your area.

I've been happy with it and insurance covered it for my deductible.

They came to my house and put it in, but it's a much better product than Safelite in my opinion based on the research that I did prior to deciding on them.

It does have the tint band across the top...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Windshield

John: In NY I Had Mine Replaced By Safelite Auto Glass With The Tint On Top

Yes, this piece seems to be readily available for about $300. This leads me to believe it fits something else other than the VX because it's so widely available.

I had mine replaced once with Safe-Lite (had the tinted top), then again later by a local private shop and it was a Nippon with no tint. IIRC that's the OEM brand and the way they came originally. Both were readily available and both did a great job installing.....but since all my driving is in this rocky desert terrain, either on 65mph highway or dirt /rocky roads...windshield replacement is a BIG biz around here.

I recall reading here about 3-4 months ago that a few people were having a terrible finding replacements....anybody recall that?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Johnny,

I had mine replaced at ASAP autoglass & was very pleased with the results. I checked & there are several in Atlanta. They have very good prices & are supposed to be a much better product than Safelite.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

A word of caution, no matter what company you use or which windshield (tinted or not) you go with. Make sure that the people installing the windshield use plastic tools and NOT metal tools. A few members had their windshields replaced, only to have leaks start up a while after the replacement. The leading theory for these leaks is that metal tools where used during the windshield replacement, which scraped the paint off of the body panels allowing rust to form and either rusted all the way through, or break the seal of the windshield allowing water in.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    A word of caution, no matter what company you use or which windshield (tinted or not) you go with. Make sure that the people installing the windshield use plastic tools and NOT metal tools. A few members had their windshields replaced, only to have leaks start up a while after the replacement. The leading theory for these leaks is that metal tools where used during the windshield replacement, which scraped the paint off of the body panels allowing rust to form and either rusted all the way through, or break the seal of the windshield allowing water in.
    Great point. I requested this when NOVUS did mine. They told me that they only use plastic tools on items near the windshield seat for that reason...I was very please with them...

Earl, I had my windshield replaced by NOVUS here in Carbondale and they said the same thing (regarding plastic tools). As a matter of fact, when I went in to get an estimate from them, the owner had just gotten back from some big windshield installers conference and he was WAY too excited about windshields. I guess if you love what you do then you never work a day in your life. That guy must feel like he's on a permanent vacation.

The VX windshield must fit a bunch of other cars; what are they?

Just did an online quote from www.glass.net and came to $246.77 in my area (NY state). No info on brand, etc.

T.
    '01 Keiser VX/'85 Defender 110/'97 Disco XD

1999 Astral 0074, 2001 Proton, 1999 Ebony, 1999 Astral 0163
    Seems like a great price to me...but then again, I've never had one replaced.
    I just know that when I had to replace the windshield in my Dodge Intrepid, it cost me $600.
    "Cast away the unessential to find the essence..."

Still...it has to fit something else. Once we figure that out the price will come down.

I just got quoted $900 for a windshield plus install. The windshield itself is almost $500. If anyone has a line on one that's cheaper and can be shipped to canada please PM me. I need one badly.
    Make it yours, but make it classy........ unless theres zombies.........thats when the gun rack goes in.