Thread: Gear Ratio Combinations

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753

Gear Ratio Combinations

I'm getting ready for my next mod and so put together a little data sheet showing the different combinations of transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials with their associated drive ratios. For anyone wanting to increase their crawl ratio the single most effective mod happens to be the AR5 swap.

Obviously all of these are x:1
    There's no 'I' in denial.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Big increase on the AR5, what are you using for the 1st gear ratio?

I'm using 3.95 as per the 98-01 US Version Trooper Manual. Even if I use the lower listed 3.75 value from the other AR5 listings its still a 31% increase.

Nice, so if I install the 5.38s & AR5... 52.8 crawl

5.38s & AR5 & Revo... 63.8 crawl

I would say that's great as long as everything can hold up to the extra torque.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Nice, so if I install the 5.38s & AR5... 52.8 crawl

5.38s & AR5 & Revo... 63.8 crawl

I would say that's great as long as everything can hold up to the extra torque.
    Yep, I'll be increasing the torque to my wheels by about 81% when I'm done. I think the rear will be fine but the CVs are going to an even more exposed as the weak link. I will most definitely need to learn to moderate my left foot when wheeling. I think I may be getting into the mod it until the next thing breaks mode. Oh well, I'm having to do the same thing with ice hockey. My body just can't take the impact play anymore so I'm changing my style of play to a kinder gentler and hopefully conflict free model. I too would like to break less stuff.

If you do the same mods at least you'll have a solid front axle to rely on. If my calculations are correct you'll see a 73% increase from stock with the AR5/5.38 combo and 114% adding the rev gears to that. I wouldn't suggest taking up hockey though at this point in your life.

Are my calcs correct? 1st gear * TC * diff = final gear ratio, and (final gear ratio - stock gear ratio)/ stock gear ratio = percentage of change
    Last edited by bartmanS4 : 10/09/2014 at 10:13 AM Reason: calcs

Quote Originally Posted by bartmanS4 View Post
    Yep, I'll be increasing the torque to my wheels by about 81% when I'm done. I think the rear will be fine but the CVs are going to an even more exposed as the weak link. I will most definitely need to learn to moderate my left foot when wheeling. I think I may be getting into the mod it until the next thing breaks mode. Oh well, I'm having to do the same thing with ice hockey. My body just can't take the impact play anymore so I'm changing my style of play to a kinder gentler and hopefully conflict free model. I too would like to break less stuff.

If you do the same mods at least you'll have a solid front axle to rely on. If my calculations are correct you'll see a 73% increase from stock with the AR5/5.38 combo and 114% adding the rev gears to that. I wouldn't suggest taking up hockey though at this point in your life.

Are my calcs correct? 1st gear * TC * diff = final gear ratio, and (final gear ratio - stock gear ratio)/ stock gear ratio = percentage of change
    Yep, the calcs are good. It's true about the CVs + extra torque, just use the ARB sparingly!

Good tip on the Hockey... anyways I prefer sports that reserve one hand for a frosty beverage.