Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Possible Purchase??? Help me out, I'm a noob..

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Probably just outer half shafts...

Quote Originally Posted by mattferguson14 View Post
    last 4 digits of the VIN are 1092. If the front CVs were making noise and binding, how hard is the fix? Is it a matter of replacing the front CVs or will it require a new dif?
    ...if its the CV's making noise.

Not a super hard job, maybe 3 hours max first side..learning curve!
    Then 2 hours other side.

Here is a thread regarding replacement axles....

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...hlight=cv+axle

BE AWARE THOUGH...these are only good for light/moderate off roading...
    ...NOT for REAL hard core Rock crawling etc.

OEM, if you can find them...
    are the best if you intend to beat up on your VX Off Road !

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    I show that VX being linked to four different members on this site from one time or another. The one with the most posts and pics by a large margin is Raque Thomas in Kentucky. Here is the profile:

Raque Thomas
    There's no 'I' in denial.

nice, thanks for the info. I actually just spoke with the repair guy at the dealership. The salesman didn't know what he was talking about. The repair guy said he removed the shaft personally because it was making noise. He said the bearings or joints on the shaft itself were bad. They are replacing it with a brand new part from Isuzu.

Last owner that registered the VIN on this forum lived in Mesa.
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/member.php?u=5372

His gallery has a few pics too:
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...00&ppuser=5372

I think Raque did the majority of the mods, his gallery shows some pics.
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...e/2/ppuser/584

It's been lifted for a long time, I'll bet they removed the shaft because the CVs were bad like Jo said.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Well the CVs look like they are in good shape but i guess we will see when they install the new shaft. According to the service tech the front driveshaft was the problem. It looks like Raque removed a few of the mods before he sold it. The interior is back to almost stock. No silver dash, no rear headrests, no more hood scoop, different tow hitch, no roof scoop, different grill emblem. I'm hoping the dealer fixes me up proper. I'd hate to have to dump more money into it after i just bought it.

Anyone ever done a timing belt on one of these (stupid question I'm sure)? I am looking into the service records and am not sure it has been done. I emailed the previous owner to see if they know. How much am i looking at to get one done if need be? Thanks again.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Here ya go...

Anyone ever done a timing belt on one of these (stupid question I'm sure)? I am looking into the service records and am not sure it has been done. I emailed the previous owner to see if they know. How much am i looking at to get one done if need be? Thanks again.
    ..from the SEARCH FUNCTION

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sea...earchid=615927

Jo

If you have a full day, tools and take your time the timing belt is not that difficult of a job. You can buy a kit for relatively cheap. If you go oem parts as I did the parts will be in the $600 range. The aftermarket kits around $200. If you have it done the labor will probably add $3-400.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

How's the old gal doing these days? The guy I sold it to in the North East did a lot of de-modding - he removed the Rodeo prototype chrome mirrors, the Axiom shift handle, and a number of my other favorite mods. I lost track of it after he sold it.

It looks more aggressive now with the big wheels a tires, lift and roof basket. I hope she is as good to you as she was to me! I regret selling her often. I now drive a Chrysler 300C with the Hemi. Totally different car, but like the VX - they are fun to drive (in a different way than the VX) and fun to mod!
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

PM me your snail mail addy & I'll send you a DVD with my collection of maintenance files. It includes a pdf of the steps for timing belt replacement (with pixes) that I shamelessly stole from Bart's thread.

I ask for those receiving the DVD to make a site donation to help keep things rolling but it's not required ... just highly recommended.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Hello Raque. Yeah, i was looking at the pics of the mods you did and it has definitely been "refined".. It still looks cool and seems to run well. I actually tried to send you a message but it said your inbox was full or something. I was wondering if you happened to do a timing belt on it when you owned it. I emailed the previous owner but no response yet. So far, I love this thing. I get mixed feedback from my buddies. One asked if it came with a box of tampons.. lmao but none can deny that it looks tough and there is nothing else like it.

Thanks again for the info. I promise I will start utilizing the SEARCH feature! lol

Jo, the link you posted for the timing belt replacement didn't work for me (maybe it's my work computer).

I am guessing that you are linking to Bart's timing belt replacement how-to. I followed that thing to the letter and had no problem replacing my timing belt. Like Billy said, it is a weekends worth of work (maybe a long day if you push it), but it really isn't that hard. The toughest thing for me was getting the nut off of the crank shaft pulley off. Used the ol' "rest the breaker bar against the frame and bump the starter" trick and it came right off.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Hiya Mark...

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Jo, the link you posted for the timing belt replacement didn't work for me (maybe it's my work computer).

I am guessing that you are linking to Bart's timing belt replacement how-to. I followed that thing to the letter and had no problem replacing my timing belt. Like Billy said, it is a weekends worth of work (maybe a long day if you push it), but it really isn't that hard. The toughest thing for me was getting the nut off of the crank shaft pulley off. Used the ol' "rest the breaker bar against the frame and bump the starter" trick and it came right off.
    Yea..its not working for me now either

It was a complete page of "Timing belt" threads from "Advanced" search engine....

....Including Barts write up.

Just tried to pull up Barts write up ... got an error page ??

BUT..if anyone needs it I'm sure if you e-mail Bart @ nfp@nofuture.com

...he'll send it

jo
    Last edited by JoFotoz : 10/17/2014 at 09:19 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    If you go oem parts as I did the parts will be in the $600 range. The aftermarket kits around $200. If you have it done the labor will probably add $3-400.
    Wow, I'm glad I had mine done professionally then! It cost me $700 for an OEM belt and water pump installed!