Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Possible Purchase??? Help me out, I'm a noob..

Possible Purchase??? Help me out, I'm a noob..

So today is the first time I've even heard of a VehiCross. I am shopping for a small off-road capable SUV. I really like the looks of this thing but don't know a lot about them. I've seen some rave reviews online. What do you think? The dealer is asking $9990. It's a 2001 with 126000 miles. Is it worth the money? Do these do very well off road? Thanks in advance!

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Yes...they off road VERY well

Thats expensive IMO, even with the nice extras.

I sent you a private message here too...
    I may have one you'd like.....and its considerably cheaper

Jo

VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey Jo, Thanks for the reply. I think the price is a little high also, but remember, it's a used car lot, i'm sure there is some room for negotiation. I do like the mods and color of this one. I took a look at the one you have for sale. It looks nice, the problem is, I am trying to finance a vehicle in order to build my credit. I only have a couple grand cash down. I was thinking of trying to get this dealer down to $8500. I think that is reasonable with the mods and condition of the vehicle. But the limited availability of parts has me worried.. are these reliable? Any common issues I should know about? Thanks again in advance.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    I'd say they are reliable..but they have their quirks.

Common issues...

Windows not going up and down properly
    Torn CV boots
    OEM CD player is jammed
    Rust, especially front bumper bar under front cladding.
    Knobs on spare wheel cover broken .
    Seats ripped, badly worn.
    Steering wheel badly worn

..I'm sure there is more and others will chime in.

AND...many use oil.
    This oil use isnt a BIG issue as long as you check every time you fill with gas...
    ...until you get used to your own cars 'use'

As for spares / parts...getting more difficult to find, so getting more expensive.
    Cladding / glass / body panels are VX exclusive... but members here are always parting crashed / blown up ones out..
    ...so not impossible to find.

And..gas mileage suxs! Maybe 16-18 freeway with a lifted VX.

Cheers

jo

The vehicross is quirky. Almost all of them share window up/down issues, and burn oil. Some have transmission mode selector problems, some are completely fine. The good part is that all the issues you may run across or have a question about are here on this site!

This site is the owner's guide to all things VX. Just use the search function wisely, and you'll find the fix for whatever might come up.

That said, you'll want to make sure the timing belt has been replaced on that VX before you purchase it. There's nothing worse than buying a used car with that many miles and a week later you're out of oil, the timing belt snaps, or the 'car won't go'.

I just talked to the guy, he said he'll give it to me for $6900! I think that's a deal, how about you?

Thats WAY more like it!

But..maybe even more scope if he said that right away!!

As HeckaTrebeka said...make sure Timing belt has been done

Make sure all TOD lights are activating properly... try the 4X4 of course!
    ...and check the things I pointed out.

Good luck ... she's a good looker.

Jo

BTW....

The roof rack bars and Cargo basket are worth $500

The bars sell used for $300-$350..they are hard to get

jo

Hi Matt- I live up by Prescott!

A while back several of us got together and created a pretty detailed checklist to help buyers check some important details on a VX they're considering.
    Here's the post with the detailed questionnaire, and you see the items Jo mentioned included on it.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...9&postcount=10

IMHO, I think $6900 is still a tad on the high side with 126k.
    With it being lifted, custom rims and the computer screen, it tells me somebody probably really loved it and put some time and money into it. I'd guess it it was used a bit on trails etc... (Just my guess), but I've seen many many VXs all dressed up and still weren't cared for properly, and rode hard and put away wet, so I'd go over this one with a fine tooth comb, and let the questionnaire guide you to some VX-specific quirks to look for.

I don't know if it's an Arizona car and has been one for a while or not, but I don't recognize it. (Not that I'd recognize every AZ VX!) Hopefull the CarFax or AutoCheck will give you some idea of where it's been over it's 13 yrs of life. If it was in the rust belt states definitely check for rust.

Unfortunately I had to sell my '01 last year, but I sure enjoyed the h3!! out of it for the 5 yrs I had it!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

That VX looks familiar. I think the previous owner was a member here (though it may have been just to sale it). If you get the last 4 digits of the vin# you can search here and maybe get a little history.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Well, I bought it!! I got a deal on it because I work in the automotive remarketing business for Manheim and we do a ton of business for the dealer i got it from. I also helped him out with transporting a vehicle from Las Vegas to AZ. Now the bad news:

The front drive axle has been removed. The dealer told me that the previous owner removed it when he did the lift in order to increase gas mileage. I worked a repair into the deal. The dealer has to buy and install the new shaft, AND ensure that the 4 wheel drive is functioning properly. I got it on paper so i should be good to go. He also showed me several other lifted pick ups on his lot that also had the front shaft removed for the same reason. There was also a dent on the spare tire cover that you cannot see in the pictures.

The good news:
    This thing is sweet!! the interior has some fine wear lines but no rips or tears. Other than the dent, the exterior is flawless. The tires are almost brand new and run $275 each and the wheels are very nice. Someone took care of this think. It has a cold air intake and aftermarket exhaust installed (not sure what brand, but it roars!). Engine runs strong and I haven't noticed anything wrong with it yet, other than the windows go up a bit slow and sound like they are straining a bit. There are tons of toggles and switches in this thing that I have no idea what they do. Should be fun finding out. I may post some pics and ask if you guys know what they do. The suspension is solid. I'm not sure what kind of lift is on it. I plan on getting underneath it this weekend and finding out the particulars.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase. got it for $6990 plus tax title and license. The big win is that i have pretty crappy credit and the dealer was able to get me done with a low payment. Now i can start rebuilding my credit and that was the real end game.

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Congrats! You're gonna love VX ownership. What are the last four digits of the VIN?
    Also, the front prop shaft is particular to the TOD Isuzus but there are plenty of TOD Troopers in junkyards to source from. The problem may be that the CV joints were making a lot of noise and binding and this is why the PO removed the prop shaft.
    Scott
    There's no 'I' in denial.

Red face Be Careful

Quote Originally Posted by mattferguson14 View Post
    There are tons of toggles and switches in this thing that I have no idea what they do. Should be fun finding out. .
    One of those switched might activate the ejector seat.
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

last 4 digits of the VIN are 1092. If the front CVs were making noise and binding, how hard is the fix? Is it a matter of replacing the front CVs or will it require a new dif?

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    One of those switched might activate the ejector seat.

That's what I'm afraid of. Either that or it may transform into a battle ready robot. or self destruct.. lol