Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: EGR Valve

Quote Originally Posted by Leon R View Post
    Your problem could be inside the manifold. Did you see this threat?

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=26148

If you have such blockage, replacing the valve can't possibly change the problem. You should be able to see it if you remove your throttle body.
    This video was very informative for the P1405 code. Long winded, but informative. It shows exactly how the EGR functions and gives you an idea of where problems can occur. I recommend watching it if you have a bit of free time.

easiest fix: take apart dash, remove instrument panel, remove check engine light bulb, reverse process

Had this code for few years changed and cleaned everyghing (EGR, O2) to no effect. Code went away after cleaning MAF

MAF could be the answer for me too.. I have a Hotshot intake with an oil type K&N cone filter.There's a possibility that it's sucked some oil/dust/other crud past the MAF. I may try that if the light comes back on. But going on a week now with no CEL.

When I was installing a new thermostat, I was able to clear out totally clogged EGR tube (right behind the throttle body). Not surprisingly, P0405 code came right back . I believe that I had TWO problems with my EGR system: a totally clogged tube AND a bad EGR valve. I just purchased one of the ebay special and should be able test my theory in about a week.

BTW, a quick shot of what EGR system does to your intake:

96 Eclipse Spyder GSX (already turbo, AWD swap)
    93 Eagle Summit AWD (4G63 turbo swaps)

With my inspection being due at the end of January, I finally purchased the CHEAPEST EGR valve I could find on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=321641349038

It was $40 shipped and did not come with a gasket (no big deal, as my old gasket was fine). For the first time in a year my CE light was off! I now have the sticker, so I think I will now block it off until the next year... I just might have to unplug the CE light and occasionally scan my codes with my Ultra Gaude

BTW, there was no notisable change in fuel consumption...

Quote Originally Posted by mattferguson14 View Post
    I want to know what the main cause of the EGR CEL code is?
    Remember too that if you have a copy of the shop manual, you can use cntl-F (find) to locate info on any of the OBD II codes you read. I'm just sayin. I just learnt that little trick today (didn't remember that the manual had all that info detailed). Just put "P0405" into the search box (or whatever code you are looking for).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

With my inspection being due at the end of January, I finally purchased the CHEAPEST EGR valve I could find on eBay:

It was $40 shipped and did not come with a gasket (no big deal, as my old gasket was fine). For the first time in a year my CE light was off! I now have the sticker, so I think I will now block it off until the next year... I just might have to unplug the CE light and occasionally scan my codes with my Ultra Gaude

I'm buying one asap!

Well, this worked for almost a month… After a month of driving without any problems, I now have code code P1404 - EGR Valve Closed Pintle Position. I think the new cheapo valve might not be all that great. But I got the inspection sticker, so it did its job .

Resetting it lasted 2-3 days, so it wasn’t coming immediately back (like was before with P0404 code).

As soon as it gets a warmer, I am installing the old valve with a block off gasket. Or I might just make a block off plate, until the next year’s inspection… So this will be my temporary EGR valve, installed just for inspection.

A quick update, I have since replaced my EGR completely with a cheap one off of ebay. Just yesterday I cleaned out the EGR tube using this tool. Just wanted to let everyone know, it worked ok, but could have been better. If you can find a little bit thinner brush that can snake through the bends in the tube easier, you will be better off. However, this one fits really snug and for the parts of the tube you can reach, it cleans it very well:

http://www.amazon.com/Herco-HE78-Tro...dp/B000EELFOM/

As soon as I replaced my EGR (about a month ago), it cleared the code P1404 (valve stuck open) but code P0401 (insufficient flow to EGR) popped up. Now that I've cleaned out the EGR tube, NO CEL!!! It feels weirddriving down the road without that light shining..
    Last edited by mattferguson14 : 05/20/2015 at 08:00 AM

The cheap valve started triggering CE light every few days in four week, in two more weeks, it went permanently bad. When I took it off, I could see some exhaust leaks from the valve itself.

I ended up putting the original valve back on with a block off plate (made from soda can). I still have CE light, but I am CERTAIN that there is no exhaust gasses entering my intake. Gas mileage had improved from ~13.3 MPG to 15.1 MPG, I am not sure if this was from blocking off EGR or from warmer weather.

My VX will be 15 years old next year, so no more OBD2 inspections!

Soooo, after cleaning the tube and clearing the code, the CEL came back on the next day, insufficient flow to the EGR. I may think about blocking it off as well. Did it make any difference in performance (idle, acceleration, power,etc.) other than the potential fuel efficiency? I get around 10-11 MPG right now so some improvement wouldn't hurt!