Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: #### Moab 'zu Zoo Xvi / Vehicross Meet 2015####

I won't be wheeling until Thursday & I have the dog so if Elephant Hill fits best on an earlier day, go for it!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    Its one I've never done..
    You should, it's a wonderful trail. Difficult enough to be interesting to drive, but no lockers needed...in the middle of unbelievably beautiful scenery.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Lead the way...Oh fearless one.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    You should, it's a wonderful trail. Difficult enough to be interesting to drive, but no lockers needed...in the middle of unbelievably beautiful scenery.
    I cant disconnect my Aussie Lockers...
    ..but hey..an nice easy-ish scenic is always good

I'm sure we'll figure it out on the new Stoop !
    Are you coming in Sat /Sun ?

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The plan is to arrive Saturday. But a few of us might head out again Sunday for a wilderness overnighter, back Monday.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Cool..

See ya Saturday Steve.....all being well

Jo

Not to harp on Elephant Hill, but I've been doing some research because I remember it being WAY out there. This doesn't need to be the VX Noob run, and we could really go any day, but we'll probably have to go early. To get to the trail head you have to drive 40 miles out of town, take a right then drive another 34 miles to the entrance station. After paying the day use fee you drive another 3 miles to the trail head and then the trail is 22 miles long if you go all the way out to the Colorado/ Green River confluence overlook. The guide book says it will take 5 to 6 hours to complete the trail alone. That's a 175 mile day and who knows how many hours.

Don't get me wrong. I'm totally up for an Elephant Hill run. It's incredibly beautiful out there and I think everyone would have a good time. Just wanted everyone to know what they were in for.

Getting excited for Moab!!
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I'd love to do Elephant Hill, always heard so much about it and how beautiful! Thanks Mark for outlining the details so I can plan for it. We'll be in the FJ....any problems with the longer wheelbase? Jay?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Kat, no issues with long wheelbase...there is a turn that will require you to back down to the next turn (normal way to do it) but that is about it.
    It is much better to keep the group at about 5-6 vehicles (maybe do a couple groups on different days if more want to do it) so you can make good time and still enjoy everything. When Swede led us through there I think the whole trip took about 9-10 hours (from memory)...that included lunch with some climbing around at the Devils Kitchen, the side trip and hike to the confluence overlook and hiking through the cracks.
    It is a beautiful trail and worth the long day!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Yeah it's 75 miles each way, good idea to leave early-ish, and keep the group size on the small side.

Might be my #1 favorite trail though.

Kat, my Trooper is just as long as an FJ (I have both now). In fact one year I took a 2-door Tahoe through EH. No worries there.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    I'd love to do Elephant Hill, always heard so much about it and how beautiful! Thanks Mark for outlining the details so I can plan for it. We'll be in the FJ....any problems with the longer wheelbase? Jay?
    FJ is a long wheelbase? I wouldn't try it in the Raptor, but you will be just fine in the FJ. Like Billy said there are two turns that require a multi-point turn or on one of them you can back up to the next switchback and then continue.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I've always wanted to run Elephant Hill, but seems like the long travel time is always the deterrent... and we can never seem to leave the Stoop before 10AM!

I would love to run the trail with a small group this year.

Anybody have input on what it would be like in an atv? (assuming the weather was reasonable) 90" L x 52" W (with my tires), Clearance 10.25". Good idea, bad idea?

The ATV version of the Wells book doesn't list Elephant Hill...made me think maybe it's not adviseable?

This website has many pics along the trail....
    http://www.traildamage.com/trails/ph...first_hill.jpg

I don't think it would have any trouble with the trail...can't say I've ever seen ATVs on EH though, wonder if there is a reg against it?

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    I'm down for this one, looks fun.
    ElephantHill
    There's no 'I' in denial.

I just made my reservations for Moab! I'm stoked to be doing this. I just finished my sliders and skid plates! Just an FYI... I spoke with Sharon and she was just barely able to fit me in. The Apache may be completely full.
    Current caretaker of The elusive 2001 "Pearl White" VX - The last one.
    1988 BMW 325ic