Quote Originally Posted by Hades View Post
This seems more of a military question, but plenty of people drive and live in California with out of state licenses/plates. It is more a question of the particular state that you are referencing. I know Virginia is pretty strict with their licensing, they even have a law stating you must register your vehicle in VA if you have a home for more than 30 days. However I don't know of the reverse situation, as in will they let you keep the VA registration out of state.
That's part of the problem. I had already notified the Virginia DMV that the bike had been "sold", and therefore, technically, it is no longer registered in Virginia. Since it cannot be registered in California, it is in limbo... not registered anywhere.

I'm not comfortable with her riding it "illegally", and I'm not sure if my insurance would still cover the bike if anything happened to it. I never cancelled my insurance, just in case.

I just want this bike to "go away". She attempted to sell it when she first got it from me (she has short legs, so she was only tip-toes, even though I had dropped the suspension 2 inches. But, she bought riding boots with higher soles, so she's OK with it now.) She wants to keep the bike, but I don't see that happening without proper registration, insurance, etc.

So, I'm considering other (legal) options. I would love to sell it (for what it's worth, not the paltry amount offered by the local stealership) and buy her another bike, but I would need a buyer who could register it out of state.

There's also the option of shipping it back to me, getting it re-registered in Virginia, and then riding the piss out of it to get 7500 miles on the ODO. Since I'm already in pain after 100 miles, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

So, I'm calling on my VX brethren to offer some possible solutions to my misery.