Thread: Front camber adjustment?

Front camber adjustment?

Group:

Does the VX have a front camber adjustment...I just did a lift and am wondering, as my front tires seem to be already visually wearing a bit only after about 700 miles. They are wearing on the outside of the tread. Before I did the lift they wore on the inside (common prob. I hear). I have flipped joints, BTW.

I could walk downstairs to the garage and have a look-see, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks,

Aric - MI VX

Yes - addition of shims on either side should affect camber. I had to install longer bolts (Lots of shims) on passenger side to get camber even close after I installed spacers & flipped ball joints. I have just removed the spacers & returned the ball joints to original position as I had experienced excessive wear on outside edge of tires, waiting to realign front end after tire rotation sometime next week.

Dragon Bob
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

Spacers

Independent4x.com offers spacers for torsion bar lift described as follows:

1/4" BALL JOINT SPACERS FOR USE ON FRONT IFS TRUCKS LOOKING TO GAIN MAXIMUM LIFT FROM TORSION BAR CRANKING.

THESE SPACERS INCREASE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE A-ARMS TO ALLOW FULL T-BAR CRANKING WHILE MAINTAINING SOFT FRONT RIDE QUALITY. IN ADDITION, THE SPACERS ADD POSITIVE WHEEL CAMBER FOR PROPER ALIGNMENT WITH CRANKED TORSION BARS.

INCLUDES GRADE 8 HARDWARE.

IN ADDITION, THE SPACERS ADD POSITIVE WHEEL CAMBER FOR PROPER ALIGNMENT WITH CRANKED TORSION BARS.

Should give them a call to see which spacer ( I think it may be the three hole) may work for the VX.

Thanks for the replies, guys. After visualizing what the flipped joints would do to the geometry in my head, I was wondering wether they could have been one of the culprits of the increased positive camber - you've confirmed my suspicion.

Dragon Bob, have you found that after returning your BJs to their original position that the increased tire wear due to positive camber has been reduced? Also, any adverse effect on off-roading abilities at all without the flipped joints?

Thanks again,

Aric - MI VX

Originally posted by MI VX
    Thanks for the replies, guys. After visualizing what the flipped joints would do to the geometry in my head, I was wondering wether they could have been one of the culprits of the increased positive camber - you've confirmed my suspicion.

Dragon Bob, have you found that after returning your BJs to their original position that the increased tire wear due to positive camber has been reduced? Also, any adverse effect on off-roading abilities at all without the flipped joints?

Thanks again,

Aric - MI VX
    Haven't driven it since I returned them to original position , I will ck out after the new alignment. Never had a camber problem until I flipped BJs & installed 1/4 spacers/
    Dragon Bob

PS My torsion bars are cranked for 2.5 inch lift.

One other thing I noticed once I did my lift and ball joint flip was increased bump steer. Has anyone else noticed this? The offset on my new wheels is a bit different (8" wheels with 4.5", ET+10) so this might contribute, but I'm wondering if it might be more the ball joints...

Thoughts?

Aric - MI VX