Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Prospective VX Buyer

What do you mean by "Non-interference"?

Quote Originally Posted by bartmanS4 View Post
    And our engines are non-interference
    What do you mean by "Non-interference"? I have not heard that term in reference to engines before.
    In looking for a VX to buy, which engine, the 3.2L or 3.5L, is the one to look for? Are they optional for certain years, or year specific?

Quote Originally Posted by RedProwler99 View Post
    What do you mean by "Non-interference"? I have not heard that term in reference to engines before.
    In looking for a VX to buy, which engine, the 3.2L or 3.5L, is the one to look for? Are they optional for certain years, or year specific?
    Non-interference means if the timing belt inside the engine blows, it won't cause extensive damage to the engine, like most other engines.

THe 3.5L was the only engine put in the US spec version. 3.2 was only one in JDM models. I believe the 3.2 is in the US spec Rodeo however...Gizmo Dave am I right on that?

EDIT:
    Read this post:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...55&postcount=8
    Last edited by VX KAT : 02/26/2015 at 04:58 PM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Question I'm new to all of this...

Thank you for the info. I have a lot to learn, so forgive the questions! Just to clarify, what is "JDM"? Japanese models?

Thank you for the info. I have a lot to learn, so forgive the questions! Just to clarify, what is "JDM"? Japanese models?
    yes..."Japanese Domestic Market"....but they're also the ones that went to the UK and other non-US destinations.

Question Keeping it Stock

After reading some threads here, I would be inclined to buy a stock VX...and keep it that way for the sake of simple maintenance. However, it sounds as though there may be some issues with stock parts availability and/or cost to do this. I suppose the most conservative approach here would be to pay a premium for the lowest mileage vehicle possible, with the fewest mods possible. Do you see any problems with this approach?

Comment: the maintenance problem not a unique issue with the VehiCROSS - so forgive me if I seem critical.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    After reading some threads here, I would be inclined to buy a stock VX...and keep it that way for the sake of simple maintenance. However, it sounds as though there may be some issues with stock parts availability and/or cost to do this. I suppose the most conservative approach here would be to pay a premium for the lowest mileage vehicle possible, with the fewest mods possible. Do you see any problems with this approach?

Comment: the maintenance problem not a unique issue with the VehiCROSS - so forgive me if I seem critical.
    Just find a nice clean body/interior. Almost everything else can be obtained easily because the VX shares parts with the Trooper. I'm not sure what you mean by avoiding "mods," as most modded VXes are easily reversible if you don't like the look or function of it. I would be more concerned with body damage or frame rust than any mods. In my experience looking at used Vehicross'; the more mods, the more love & maintenance. Many of the stockers you find out there are abused and ignored... and you'll see it right away with worn seats, faded cladding and foggy headlights.

I would always lean toward finding the lowest mileage and cleanest VX you can find that fits your budget. At this point, any Vehicross you find is pushing 15 years old.

Hey

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    . In my experience looking at used Vehicross'; the more mods, the more love & maintenance. Many of the stockers you find out there are abused and ignored... and you'll see it right away with worn seats, faded cladding and foggy headlights.

I would always lean toward finding the lowest mileage and cleanest VX you can find that fits your budget. At this point, any Vehicross you find is pushing 15 years old.
    As an original owner I take exception to that remark. But I do agree avoiding rust abuse is paramount. Though the VX shares many parts with Trooper it is the body parts that have limited availability.
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

In my experience of buying used cars it's not "stock" or "modded" it's "does the owner keep records?" I'd be far more wary of modded cars. Just because someone took the time and effort to personalize their car doesn't mean they did it right! But if you have records, receipts, and service histories, you know the owner has taken good care of their car and you know EXACTLY when service items were done.

Case in point, I did end up buying the VX I kicked this thread off with. It had 140,000 miles on it and the diff and transfer case fluids had NEVER been changed. The diff oil was like river water. Very, very thin, and very, very dirty. I flushed both diffs and the transfer case (twice with the t-case) and most of my drivetrain noises disappeared. I also swapped the spark plugs, which were so old they had actually rusted to the cylinder head. I'm pretty sure they were also original. I got immediate improvements in gas mileage and acceleration.

Point is, stock or modded, if the old owner(s) is lazy, cheap, or incompetent, you're going to have problems no matter what used car you're shopping for.