Thread: HID Bulb Dying

HID Bulb Dying

I'm finally losing the passenger side HID - it's color-shifting to a distinct pink color. I got this set from Tone back in the day and they were plug-and-play (no wire splicing) - these are the HID driving/Halogen high-beam that he first offered. The question is whether it's the bulb or the ballast and since I'm already buying a high-priced replacement bulb, should I just covert to LED? Are they as bright as the 5000K Tone HID set or? I'd like some opinions!

-- Thanks! John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo View Post
    I'm finally losing the passenger side HID - it's color-shifting to a distinct pink color. I got this set from Tone back in the day and they were plug-and-play (no wire splicing) - these are the HID driving/Halogen high-beam that he first offered. The question is whether it's the bulb or the ballast and since I'm already buying a high-priced replacement bulb, should I just covert to LED? Are they as bright as the 5000K Tone HID set or? I'd like some opinions!

-- Thanks! John
    Mine is losing color on the passenger side also, turning yellow. I bought replacement bulbs and just got them today. I went with 6000k sliding hi/los. Not sure if it's the bulb or the ballast, but I only paid $17 for the bulbs on eBay, and the ballasts are only $30 for a set, so if the new bulb doesn't work I'll buy the ballasts. I'll let you know if the new bulb does the trick here shortly.

Put in the new HID bulbs. They are definitely brighter. But now, like you experienced, my driver's side light has a pink tint to it. :/ So maybe the pink is because of a bad ballast and the yellow I was experiencing before was because of bad bulbs??

I have led all the way around on my vx, I love the look and the brightness of them. I have the hid in my bmw and I think I'm going to take them out and put the led in.
    That others may Live
    Warrior Automotive
    Jake

One trick to try is to swap bulbs from side-to-side. That will let you know if it's the ballast or the bulb. I went with an LED setup - ordered from AliExpress...

I'll let you know how they work.

-- John