So, like others here I have an intermittent EGR code. The CEL comes on and goes off about once a week (it is on all the time, but goes off about once a week). The code I get is P-1404 (if I remember correctly) which is EGR open, meaning the valve is sticking open for some reason. I have cleaned the EGR out and still no luck. But here is the "mystery", I can FEEL my truck start running BETTER right before the check engine light goes off. My acceleration gets a little better and I can just feel the performance boost. I can literally tell that the light is about to go off before it does because of this performance boost. And vice-versa as well, after a day or so of the light going out, I can feel the performance start to suffer a bit (less pedal response, a tad bit of hesitation) and I know the CEL will be coming on shortly and it always does. As far as I know, the EGR should not affect the engine's performance, even if you completely disconnect it. So what is this "boost" I am experiencing (or performance LOSS if you want to be a pessimist about it )? Could the code be coming from a different problem? Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!