Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: overheating with ac on ALL READY!!!

overheating with ac on ALL READY!!!

So the end of last summer i was overheating with the ac on
    i have a new engine,new radiator(flushed the whole system)new ac compressor,transmission cooler installed,electric fan conversion,
    and today i turned the air on for the first time an up goes the temp gauge???
    i am really at wits end with this problem...
    any ideas...
    i was watching an episode of fast and loud and aaron kaufman built an old falcon to race pikes peak but it was overheating on his practice run so he said he was having issues with "air stack" meaning that air comes in thru the grill and gets trapped in the engine compartment and gets hot from the engine not letting the engine cool down so he cut hole in the hood to let the stacked air escape...
    i do have a hood insert with a closed off scoop that i could open up and cut holes in the hood to let air escape...
    has anyone with a heating problem tried anything like this???
    did it work???
    thanx gang

Is the small fan in front of the condenser (right behind the grill on pass. side), come on when the AC is on? What kind of electric fan have you put on as a conversion?

yes condenser fan comes on and it is a ffdynamics electric fan conversion

In the past several have gone electric fans and we're not happy with the results and went back to stock configuration. Also remove your accessory belt and make sure that the AC compressor pulley spins freely. If not you may need to replace the compressor.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I've posted more details in the past, so in a nut shell...

I've experienced the overheating issue too and the electric fan made the issue worse in my case. I reverted to a fan clutch which I happened to pull from an older Rodeo at a junkyard. I also built a heat extractor hood insert with a reverse hood scoop designed for Subarus to remove excess heat under the hood. You can clearly see the heat venting from the hood during the hot months. The Rodeo fan clutch (OEM) and heat extractor have completely eliminated the over heating issue for me. This includes all temps up to 105 degrees and holding 3rd gear at 65MPH up the CO rockies.

My engine is basically brand new (3000 miles), I decided I didn't want the fan clutch (sounded like an airplane, never mind how much HP id drains). I bought a 16" curved blade fan rated at 3000 cfm on ebay (I'm a cheap ***). I then had a friend fabricate a shroud out of aluminum using the original plastic shroud as a template. to fit the fan I bought.
    This fan is rated to cool a big block. The fan switch that came with it was junk! fan came on at very low temp & stayed on until a very low temp.(was suppose to be on at 200 & off at 185). I ended up getting a sensor from Be Cool (from Jegs) that comes on at 210 & off at 185. Tried it last night & it works perfect. Then put the AC on & let it sit & idle. The front little ac fan came on & when the temp got up to 210 the big fan came on for about a minute & went back off like it should. I think this will work fine. Obviously I'm not in the southwest to test it,but Im pretty certain it's gonna get the job done this summer. I think the problem people have is the shroud!
    Last edited by ohiovx : 04/11/2015 at 09:23 AM

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Are you running the stock air box or a so called cold air intake? TWalker changed back from the cold air intake to stock air box and eliminated his overheating issues.
    There's no 'I' in denial.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    In the past several have gone electric fans and we're not happy with the results and went back to stock configuration. Also remove your accessory belt and make sure that the AC compressor pulley spins freely. If not you may need to replace the compressor.
    new compressor,,fan works fine all the time so if the fan wasnt cooling correctly i would have problems in the summer eve n without the ac on

Quote Originally Posted by bartmanS4 View Post
    Are you running the stock air box or a so called cold air intake? TWalker changed back from the cold air intake to stock air box and eliminated his overheating issues.
    yep stock box

This is going to suck, but....you're most likely going to have to get rid of the electric fan. For 3 years I suffered overheating issues w/my rig when the a/c came on. I cut a hole in the hood, replaced all the parts you did, went with TWO different electric fan setups. I added an extra fan in front. I even got a Ron Davis Racing radiator and the custom dual electric fan and shroud to go along with it. Still overheated. Out of desperation, I finally pulled the electric fans and purchased a new OEM stock fan and fan clutch.

Problem solved.
    Last edited by eternal21 : 04/10/2015 at 08:56 AM

Quote Originally Posted by eternal21 View Post
    This is going to suck, but....you're most likely going to have to get rid of the electric fan. For 3 years I suffered overheating issues w/my rig when the a/c came on. I cut a hole in the hood, replaced all the parts you did, went with TWO different electric fan setups. I added an extra fan in front. I even got a Ron Davis Racing radiator and the custom dual electric fan and shroud to go along with it. Still overheated. Out of desperation, I finally pulled the electric fans and purchased a new OEM stock fan and fan clutch.

Problem solved.
    Thanks!!

You're welcome. And when I say, "cut a hole in the hood", I was driving around w/out the stock insert at the time, for clarification purposes. The fan design changed at some point, which is why I picked up a new one. That and the fact that I threw out the old one when I went w/the electric fans
    Last edited by eternal21 : 04/10/2015 at 09:49 AM

Hmm
    So new design on the clutch and fan??
    Remember how much it was??

New design for the fan only
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showpos...4&postcount=49

Price of the fan was $241. Price of the clutch was $82.
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showpos...6&postcount=51

I replaced them both on 6/4/14 and haven't had a problem since.
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showpos...2&postcount=58

I would suggest that if you still have the stock fan somewhere, just replace the clutch first and see if that'll resolve your issue.