Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What mods do U want made?

Originally posted by AREA 51
    Why not just make an insert with scoop using glas, just like the original insert ?
    My first attempt will actually be made out of glass not carbon fiber. And once it's constructed, I plan to paint it. I'll probably try to fabricate smaller parts in carbon fiber before trying to perfect the process and wasting a lot of expensive material on larger projects such as the insert. But, I will post results either way.
    For custom VehiCross skidplates and accessories, check out:
    www.aftershockproducts.com

I would love to see some diamond plate floor mats with a lip all the way around to keep in muck. I spend most of my time off road and think this would be nice

I'd be interested in a hood scoop, but I'm not sure if I would go the carbon-fiber route. It would be nice if it were available in an unpainted version. I'd also like to see it made functional, not just for good looks.

A good intake would be nice too.

Red face

I would love to have a grille guard like the one TrailReady was going to make before that deal fell through.

I may be interested in the JAOS bar that was mentioned on another post, however, it seems to not quite offer the kind of protection I want. I have emailed numerous custom tubing shops that have done custom work for other high profile vehicles (magazine posers) and have struck out on all attempts.

I have been researching the prospect on the net of using a B&M Megashifter setup in the VX...but, all their kits are designed for domestic vehicles. I used to have a B&M Console Megashifter for my Trans Am that I left in the car when it was sold. Wish I would have changed it out and kept it for the VX! I'm thinking that it could work if you drill new holes to mount it.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/spiderac...egshiffor.html
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 12/09/2003 at 02:33 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Isnt carbon fibre cooked in a vaccuum. Why would there be any sanding or bubbles to remove. I imagine anyone with a good carboard cutting skills could cut the template, the hard part is making the buck that it is molded to while it is baked. That said, for such a big part with so little detail, that really shouldnt be hard either. Anyone care to guestimate what the hood scoop would run? I guess about $275-500 IN cf.
    Why cut down the trees to build the church when you can just worship in the forest?

Talking Wish List!!

Jaos Skid Bar w/PIAA lights
    18"-20" Wheels w/Nitto tires (summer use)
    Possibly Side bars??
    Chrome mirror covers (maybe I can win)
    Rear Camera in factory location (still working on that)
    Carbon Fibre Dash Trim
    Carbon Fibre hood insert w/ carbon fibre hood scoop
    Super Charger (in my dreams, can't afford)
    Tru-dual exhaust with hi-flo cats
    Upgrade suspension & brakes

If I totalled all that up I could probably buy a second VX for what it would cost me. LOL

I believe CF is laid into wet resin (mixed with a catalyst) just like fiberglass. There's still room for bubbles and voids. If the part is cast molded the process is different - in resin casting you try to use a vacuum table and/or possibly vibrate the solution to push trapped air out. Injection molding uses forced liquid pressurized into metal molds. They all have the same issues with occasional voids and trapped air. The ideal situation involves a super clean injection or fill, where both the solution and mold are in vacuum so that there is no possibility of trapped air. However this is very expensive and only used in very large scale manufacturing.

Due to the small numbers and demand in the VX market, about the best you get is either parts produced for another model which can be used or converted, or small, private manufacturors like Ron who casts/injects to order. Most fiberglass workers will also throw a CF part together for you. Most of the time and cost is in the mold making process. After the mold is made, the cost difference between CF, Kevlar or fiberglass is relatively small. The second part of the equation is the laber cost. CF is much cheaper done in asia due to the cheaper laber cost, and lack of good quality, safety and environmental controls. It's actually mujch cheaper to have CF done in asia and pay for shipping, than to produce the same part in the US.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

My first pitch would be the insert with induction or extraction. I would be game for either. I don't really care for it to be C/F, but I guess there probably wouldnt be much in the line for an option in any case on this one.

Not too interested in the intake, but if it could be done, I would be more than happy to partake.

For some reason, and I am probably alone on this knowing that not many folks have a-pillar gauges, but perhaps C/F a-pillars WITH a dual guage assembly built in.

Just to add, I am NOT a fan of shiney C/F products. The more matte they can be, the better.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Wormgod, one of the places I'm talking to about CF already has some A-Pillar pods and sets. Ofcourse I'm not sure if they'd fit, but you might check it out.

http://www.carbontrix.com/

About half way down on the page.

It looks like they already make carbon fibre induction scoops also.

Originally posted by Freon VX
    Isnt carbon fibre cooked in a vaccuum. Why would there be any sanding or bubbles to remove. I imagine anyone with a good carboard cutting skills could cut the template, the hard part is making the buck that it is molded to while it is baked. That said, for such a big part with so little detail, that really shouldnt be hard either. Anyone care to guestimate what the hood scoop would run? I guess about $275-500 IN cf.
    There are different methods in fabricating carbon fiber parts. The most common and cheaper method is the wet layup technique as JohnnyAppollo had briefly described earlier. Most auto accessory fabricators do this as it is the cheaper technique. With this method, you won't get a real perfect part as it is proned to bubbles during the curing stage. To get the bubble-less part, I believe you'll need to use prepreg carbon fiber material which already has resin saturated within the cloth and bake it on without the bubbles. Also, using the common vacuum-bag technique will reduce the chances of bubbles in the resin. Both latter methods are more expensive to do and the costs are passed down to the part along with labor.

Regarding the negative buck, that can be made out of regular fiberglass and resin material. The most difficult part is having to make sure that the buck mold is as perfect as possible without any flaws of any kind. Otherwise the molded parts produced from the buck will reveal each flaw in the end result.

This, of course will require your typical manual labor of sanding and re-sanding to perfect the mold. And if your parts also still reveal other unforseen imperfections, depending on how anal and patient you are, you can spend a few days or more trying to get it right.

The art of fiberglassing is unforgiving and takes time, effort, patience, and the tenacity to strive through major F' ups along the way. Much luck if you plan to pursue this.

Cool Psssssst Ron.....

Cough.....clear sides..... ....x

How about a Carbon fibre insert w/ louvers