Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Moab 2016 - official thread for details, etc....: 05/14/2016 12:00 AM - 05/22/2016 12:00 AM

Thanks guys. But no they aren't stock, their Nitto Terra Grappler ATs 255/60 R18. I went ahead and bought another one and will put it on the spare rim and tie strap it to the roof

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    So we are getting close to Go Time:

1) Who is looking to convoy from Denver Saturday morning? We will be having breakfast at the Dennys at 9930 W. 49th Ave. Wheatridge, CO 80033 at about 7:30 AM...anybody want to join up there? I believe VX guy Tyler will be there to join us.

2) Where do we want to meet in Grand Junction? I suggest the McDonalds at Peach Tree Center, 3219 Business I-70 , Clifton, CO 81520. It is just before the turnoff to highway 141. But I am open to suggestions too.
    Yep, after doing all of the planning it looks like I will be in Denver early afternoon. I was going to visit Jason and have some things 3D Printed, look around in Denver for a few hours then drive to Wheatridge to check into our room at Motel 6. Along the way I am also stopping in Kansas City to see SCOTT at Jack Miller Isuzu and meet the legend face to face

EXCITED
    ---------

Ty

I have been driving without a spare tire for a couple of years now (since I NEVER off-road). This thread reminded me that maybe I should bring it. I was also wondering about CB versus FRS. After talking with BigSwede I think I'm going to get a handheld CB and an external antenna so I don't have to borrow someones. But just for info, I don't know much about FRS radios. Which is used most and what is the difference?

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    CB is the usual mode of communication.

I use a handheld , a Cobra "RoadTrip"..with magnetic roof mount antenna.

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FRS uses different frequencies than CB, and is limited to 0.5 watt (basically a "walkie-talkie"). I have been with groups that use FRS and for yakking in a tight convoy they work okay. They are fine for transmitting 100 yards or so but cannot be relied on for more than that.

CB is limited to 4 watts and so has greater range than FRS, maybe 5 miles depending on terrain.

My local Midwest Overland group has gone to 2-meter (VHF) ham radio for greater range than CB, running 55-75 watts can reach out 15-20 miles depending on terrain, but that doesn't do you any good unless the guy on the other end has one too.

So in the end it comes down to whatever everybody can agree to use, unfortunately none are compatible with the other and it is actually illegal to make a radio that does more than one type. As a result I carry 3 kinds of radio in my Trooper

The Moab group uses CB.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

So we are getting close to Go Time:

1) Who is looking to convoy from Denver Saturday morning? We will be having breakfast at the Dennys at 9930 W. 49th Ave. Wheatridge, CO 80033 at about 7:30 AM...anybody want to join up there? I believe VX guy Tyler will be there to join us.

2) Where do we want to meet in Grand Junction? I suggest the McDonalds at Peach Tree Center, 3219 Business I-70 , Clifton, CO 81520. It is just before the turnoff to highway 141. But I am open to suggestions too.
    That sounds like a plan we will meet you at the Denny's west of Denver, I am not sure anyone is meeting us in GJ but we can stop at the McDonalds and have lunch in the parking lot, if anyone wants to join us they can just meet us there.
    If we leave the Denny's at 8:00-8:30 we should be in GJ around 12:00-12:30, should we plan to leave GJ at 1:00pm?

Kevin and I do not have CBs yet so we will be bringing FRS radios so we can at least talk to people that have radios and those that bring both.

I guess I can put some batteries in my FRS radio... but you should just get a Midland 75-822 and a magnetic antenna... "installs" in a minute (power from the cig lighter) and you can take it out later just as quick when you don't need a CB.

I was on a trail once with folks that had FRS, CB, or ham. Like to drove me nuts keeping track of which of the three radios to reply on.

I guess I can put some batteries in my FRS radio... but you should just get a Midland 75-822 and a magnetic antenna... "installs" in a minute (power from the cig lighter) and you can take it out later just as quick when you don't need a CB.

I was on a trail once with folks that had FRS, CB, or ham. Like to drove me nuts keeping track of which of the three radios to reply on.
    I will try and find a hand held CB, any suggestions on stores that would have them in stock, to late to order anything on line.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFish View Post

I will try and find a hand held CB, any suggestions on stores that would have them in stock, to late to order anything on line.
    I ordered mine today and am having it shipped to the motel. It will likely arrive on Saturday (Monday at the latest) w/ground shipping. I am there all week so if it DID arrive on Monday, it's ok for me. You could do the same but I would select 2 or 3 day shipping.

The Midland that BigSwede suggested is:
    http://www.buytwowayradios.com/produ...nd-75-822.aspx

The Cobra (comes with the antenna) that Jo suggested earlier is:
    http://www.buytwowayradios.com/produ...-roadtrip.aspx

Both are affordable and either can be shipped and received in time if you ordered by tomorrow and shipped with 2-3 day shipping.

Of course I'm sure that there is somewhere in Denver or Moab where you can also buy one.
    Last edited by tysamigo : 05/10/2016 at 03:40 PM

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Amazon Prime can get you a Cobra Roadtrip by thursday

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    Amazon Prime can get you a Cobra Roadtrip by thursday

Jo
    Lots of places can get them to me before Friday but the shipping is almost as much as the item, some local places have the Cobra radios so I can get them, I was hoping to get the midland 75-822 because it has more features and is slightly smaller. I will figure something out and have a radio for the trip.

Well sure...

I was simply pointing it out/ wondering if you had Amazon Prime already as many do ...

Cause then..its a great deal...and to your door in time.

jo

Truckstops often carry some CB equipment, but who knows if they would have what you are looking for...

The truck stop near Kevin's work had a HH-Roadtrip and the Sportsmans warehouse near our house also has the same one so we should be able to get them tomorrow.
    Thanks for all the info I would not have known which ones to look for if you guys had not told me about them. We have the majority of the stuff done for the trip, both VXs are lifted, have working lockers and 33" tires, we both are getting much needed alignments Friday and Kevin will do his 500 mile engine break in oil change before we leave. If all goes as planned we will meet Steve, Tyler and anyone else that wants to meet and drive up with us on Saturday morning.