Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Moab 2016 - official thread for details, etc....: 05/14/2016 12:00 AM - 05/22/2016 12:00 AM

Some of us are planning to meet in Denver or Grand Junction and do a mild trail on the way to Moab on Saturday morning. (Denver to GJ takes about 4 hours)
    Option A (trail rating 3) - From GJ take Sheep Creek to Gateway Rd. (2-3 hours) along part of La Sal loop Rd., FR 4636 and Sand Flats in to Moab. (3 hours) Approximately 5-6 hours from GJ to Moab
    http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=393
    Option B (trail rating 2) - From GJ take 141 to Gateway Rd. (1 hour) along part of La Sal loop Rd., FR 4636 and Sand Flats in to Moab (3 hours) Approximately 4 hours from GJ to Moab
    http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=356

For those wanting to meet us and take one of these options which one do you prefer? I am open and good with either one, both trails can be done in stock 4x4s.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFish View Post
    I think 1-2 might be about right if you want we can try and meet in Denver for the ride up GJ if we are all ready to go around the same time.
    In thinking about it, Noon-1 in GJ might be more accurate FWIW.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Hey guys! I'm planning to leave from Denver Friday morning to get to the Apache that night. Will there be people there already looking to do trails potentially Friday afternoon and Saturday? I'm only going to be there a few days. Getting excited!

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    The big question is....

Who's got Monkieee Night Blender sports covered...

Jo, I can cover Moonkee night. I'll bring the blender that I bought last year just for that purpose (although I have been using it to make healthier smoothies lately). I may need to pre-make the Moonkee's and bring them over to The Stoop as Vanessa and I aren't staying at The Apache. We'll be just around the corner at The Purple Sage.

I was going to start a thread for this years "Ice Cream Social", but it usually just devolves into Moonkee drinking, smack talking and general hilarity. Maybe we should just change the Ice Cream Social into "Moonkee Monday".
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Cool Mark !!
    Ill have a healthy stash of rum.. Dohh!
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

10-day forecasts are pretty worthless, but I couldn't resist looking...forecast for both Saturday 5/14 and Sunday 5/15 is 85 and sunny.

I am not going to make it :(

As most of you are already aware I am not going to make it to Moab this year. I have released my room this past week so if someone is still in need of a room there should be one available at the Apache. I will truly miss you all. I hope that you all have a safe and pleasant trip there and home when that time comes. Have a few drinks for me, a Milts or two, maybe someone should even have the cops called for ol times sake. Till next year (I hope). Take lots o pictures
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

Quote Originally Posted by Dumke View Post
    As most of you are already aware I am not going to make it to Moab this year. I have released my room this past week so if someone is still in need of a room there should be one available at the Apache. I will truly miss you all. I hope that you all have a safe and pleasant trip there and home when that time comes. Have a few drinks for me, a Milts or two, maybe someone should even have the cops called for ol times sake. Till next year (I hope). Take lots o pictures
    Sorry you can't make it we will take pictures and post them for those that are missing it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by duhgbert View Post
    Mike C, what is your route plan as it pertains to (or doesn't) DFW?
    Sorry! Had trouble getting back into the forum! Here's my itinerary. Not driving directly there... I'll be stopping off in Sedona, AZ to pick to pick up my lady friend...

Arrival:
    --------
    Sat, May 14 4PM-10PM Prairieville, LA -> Dallas, Tx
    Sun, May 15 8AM-11PM Dallas,Tx -> Sedona, AZ
    Mon, May 16 8AM-2PM Sedona, AZ -> Moab, UT

Return:
    --------
    Sat, May 21 5PM-11PM Moab,UT -> Sedona, AZ
    Sun, May 22 12PM-10PM Sedona, AZ -> Amarillo, TX
    Mon, May 23 8AM-8PM Amarilla, TX -> Prairieville, LA
    Last edited by mcaramb@rocketmail.com : 05/09/2016 at 06:30 AM

Are they requiring full sized spares for any of the trails? I've just got the stock one for now

It's a good idea...you might not be able to run 4WD low without binding with different size tires...in fact in some cases you might break parts of your drivetrain...and you might need 4lo just to finish the trail. How big of a size difference are we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    It's a good idea...you might not be able to run 4WD low without binding with different size tires...in fact in some cases you might break parts of your drivetrain...and you might need 4lo just to finish the trail. How big of a size difference are we talking about?
    Looks like about 1.5-2" difference in Diameter.

So roughly a 6% difference...not enormous but more than I would like. Some of the VX guys will have to comment on how the TOD system would react. On my Trooper I would put the smaller tire on the front and unlock the hubs so the size differential wouldn't bind up the drivetrain, but the VX has all wheel drive and drive flanges, so that isn't an option.

So we are getting close to Go Time:

1) Who is looking to convoy from Denver Saturday morning? We will be having breakfast at the Dennys at 9930 W. 49th Ave. Wheatridge, CO 80033 at about 7:30 AM...anybody want to join up there? I believe VX guy Tyler will be there to join us.

2) Where do we want to meet in Grand Junction? I suggest the McDonalds at Peach Tree Center, 3219 Business I-70 , Clifton, CO 81520. It is just before the turnoff to highway 141. But I am open to suggestions too.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    I can bring you a full size spare...assuming you are running stock tires.

Quote Originally Posted by mcaramb@rocketmail.com View Post
    Are they requiring full sized spares for any of the trails? I've just got the stock one for now
    Its on a 2001 18 inch rim.
    Its not a great tire..but it'll get ya off the trail!

Not sure what its worth... maybe $100..certainly no more.

Let me know

Cheers
    Jo