Thread: Egr mystery solved!!!

Egr mystery solved!!!

I have finally officially solved my recurring EGR issues!!!!!!! I cleaned out the EGR intake tube, replaced the EGR, replaced vacuum lines, and ran sea foam through the intake and gas tank. The code cleared for a week (long enough to pass smog) and came right back. I bought another new EGR but when I went to replace it, I realized that the threads where the EGR mounts to the intake had become stripped out and the bolts would not fasten tightly enough. I drilled and tapped them and had to bore out the EGR mounting flanges and EGR gasket a bit to accommodate the new, larger bolts. I am happy to say that the CEL has been out for 2 whole weeks! Hoping it never comes back..

I have a similar issue, though mine related more to those with the supercharger. The EGR mounts to an aluminum block included with the S/C, as well as the EGR line itself. Over time, my EGR line likes to "back out" of it's threading. A few times a year, I have to pop the hood and re-tighten. Certainly not something I want to put thread lock on since it is a !@#$% to get to by hand. *shrug* Just one of them things....
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    I have a similar issue, though mine related more to those with the supercharger. The EGR mounts to an aluminum block included with the S/C, as well as the EGR line itself. Over time, my EGR line likes to "back out" of it's threading. A few times a year, I have to pop the hood and re-tighten. Certainly not something I want to put thread lock on since it is a !@#$% to get to by hand. *shrug* Just one of them things....
    You could always use some low strength thread locker, like Loctite 222. You should be able to bust it loose fairly easily with a wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by mattferguson14 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    You could always use some low strength thread locker, like Loctite 222. You should be able to bust it loose fairly easily with a wrench.
    The problem with any threadlock is, again, getting the leverage and space to even crank in the first place. Anyone with the S/C will tell you, that spot is a PITA, heh. You get about 1degree of crank. It really blows. IIRC, its the fuel rails that put a constraint on the space. Ah well, is what it is.