Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: ? about Synthetic oils

I went through this same ordeal... synth vs. cheapo...

Long story short, AMSOIL. every 7500 or when I get bored - whichever comes first.

The whole point of using an oil that you only change "every 35000 miles" is that when someone else buys 3 or 4 qts of oil, you bought one. Sounds like the extra cost is justified to me...

In this world of the 3k mile oil change, only one entity emerges on top - Jiffy Lube. Think business would be as good if the song was "Every 35,000 miles, just bring it in to Jiffy Lube..."? Don't think so.

Think about it...
    Do they ever stop looking?

Well, I really think, a long time ago, you really PROBABLY needed to change your oil every 3k miles or so... I'm sure that's how it started, as engines didn't last as long as they do know. That being said, you don't have much of a choice going in to JIffy Lube, unless you bring your own oil.

Now, those of us who know how to change oil and don't trust the Jiffy Lubes of the world can decide... and some of us do feel better knowing the oil is newer, sooner. That being said, my opinion stays at changing more often than not, no matter what I use. Now, THAT being said, I think I will go back to Mobil 1.

Lightbulb

No matter what kind of oil you use, your filter will start losing efficiency within a week of normal driving. Why? Because it's doing its job FILTERING contaminants. And it can only filter so much! Modern engines have much tighter tolerances and you're just hurting yourself by exposing your mill to whatever grit, metals and soot is in there for longer than necessary.

All you over 3000 mile changers, at least change your filter at 3000 miles if you believe in your oil so much. All the oil does with those contaminants is SUSPEND them. They don't miraculously change to some magic inert material, they don't go away if the filter can't take anymore. When the oil reaches saturation it begins to sludge and does more harm than good, losing its ability to flow and dissipate heat effectively.

I spend about $30 at each oil change using Mobil-1 and a Mobil-1 Synthetic filter. I have a quart left over so it's like a "free" oil change on the sixth service. It takes me 30 minutes to do the job and any auto parts place takes the used oil. I drove 21,400 miles this past year which means I spent $210 on using the best possible materials to maintain my beloved VX. $210. Can you afford $210 a YEAR to keep your VehiCROSS in tip-top shape? If you can't, you need to look at giving your VX a better home.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

OK so I wrote AMSOIL back with this:
    Thank you for your information. However, you can understand my concern when I say that I have never heard of an oil that you are able to run for a year without changing. I am one of those people who change my oil every 3000 miles, and to hear that I won't have to change this oil for 35,000 just throws every concept of whats good for my car right out the window. I am having a hard time with this, if it is indeed true, then this is the greatest thing I have ever heard of. Can you actually guarentee that this will not harm my engine if I let it go 20,000 let alone 35,000 miles? Is it simply that amazing? I'm sure that I am not the first to ask this. I hope you can see my concern. Any more information pertaining to this would be greatly apprieciated.

This is what that replied:

Thanks for taking the time to contact AMSOIL with your concerns.
    In response to your inquiry, yes this can be a difficult concept when we've all been taught that the more you change the oil the better. Extended drain interval questions are covered in depth in the FAQ section http://amsoil.com/frequent.htm#extendeddrain of our website. You can also access our AMSOIL warranty http://www.amsoil.com/warranty.htm . For those that don't feel good about extremely long service intervals, we also offer our shorter life XL7500 series oils. The are rated for 7500 miles or six months, whichever comes first.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Thank you,
    Jim Van
    AMSOIL Technical Services
    Jeff
    former 2000 Proton owner
    Lehigh Valley, PA

ScubaSteve - I agree 100% with you man... I think you're using a very common sense approach to the situation as am I.

Joe_Black - What you are doing is great for you. I think you're going a little overboard, but hey that's up to you... and you are giving your VX the best of both worlds.

jeffkics - So has this thread answered any of your questions? I think it's good that we're all doing different things and having good luck with it... and I think it rocks to have a cool forum like this for us to discuss this stuff!!!

Joe

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

This is a pretty amazing site.
    They just got done testing Mobil1 in a 2002 V8 Camaro with an oil analysis every 1000 miles. They left the oil in it until it needed to be changed according to these tests. They did a filter change at 12,000 miles, and finally ended the test at 18,000 miles. All the results are posted.

They are now in the process of testing AMSOIL and will do the same and see how long it lasts.

Looks like the 3000 mile oil change may be a thing of the past.

Very Interesting. I just read the entire test. Based upon their results, the point that came across the most was making sure you top off the oil on a consistent basis. Seems the slight addition of used oil "refreshes" the synth and makes it last longer. That and the replacement oil filter really prolonged the life of the mobile 1.

The other point I got from this was that synth really lasts much longer than the traditional 3k. Sounds like we can go 5k 0r 6k easily and not think too much about it (provided the motor is topped-off). The report suggest that 10k would not be out of the question.

I'm actually more interested at this point in a comparison with real oil than in another synth. Wish this could be sped up somehow.

-- Best, John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Sorry I should also specify that where as I change my oil around every 7500, I also use Amsoil's REALLY BIG oil filter - forgot the part number...

Per cross reference with the larger K&N, I believe it is the AMSoil SDF-36

I know this thread was almost dead , but I saw this today and I thought it was very relevant to this disccussion... I think it addresses the "I use Mobil 1 and change oil every 3000 miles" crowd.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/lng_article/index.htm

Joe

Originally posted by ScubaSteve
    In this world of the 3k mile oil change, only one entity emerges on top - Jiffy Lube. Think business would be as good if the song was "Every 35,000 miles, just bring it in to Jiffy Lube..."? Don't think so.Think about it...
    Hey ScubaSteve - I remembered you talking about Jiffy Lube, etc and drain intervals... Check out this brochure from Amsoil about businesses using Amsoil and extended drain intervals.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1401.pdf

Joe

I found a vbunch of Amsoil's info brochures on their website. Here's a cool one about 4wd's. Not a lot of new info, but I thought it was kinda cool anyway.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g397.pdf

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Ahhh, I can translate, 7500 miles OR 6 mo, whichever comes first! Obviously your not going to drive 6 mo unlimited miles! And to go that long and be covered you need to send a sample for them to test. I go 5000 betweeen oil changes with Royal Purple.
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.