Originally posted by Raque Thomas
Isn't that Isuzu just a rebadged GM product like the Ascender and the last Isuzu pickup? If so, saying that the new Hummer is based on an Isuzu is quite a stretch, isn't it?
No. It was developed by Isuzu and all you have to do is drive it to believe me. I drove the new Chevy Colorado and it feels almost exactly like my VX with slightly softer suspension settings. Yes, the GM/Isuzu relationship is getting complex with products going both ways, but this one is definitely coming our way. I worked on the Chevy Belair concept car which, believe it or not, was put on the same platform, as it is GM's cheapest and fastest platform (yes internally Isuzu is just considered another division of GM) and it was always referred to as the Isuzu platform in casual conversation. In patriotic middle-America it was considered much more sacreligious to be putting a classic Chevy on a Japanese truck platform, by the way, than you guys think it is to sell GMCs as Isuzus! The Belair wasn't the greatest looking showcar ever made but IMHO this one sure is, and it's actually going into production!