Thread: Loud squeak from under hood

Unhappy Loud squeak from under hood

Last week I drove from PA to NC to spend Christmas with my wife's family. So as I'm driving, I kept hearing a loud squeak from under the hood. It's mostly while cornering and hitting rough spots on the road, kinda like the whole engine shifts because I feel the weight difference. I haven't had a chance to try to diagnose the problem myself, but I know it never made that sound before I had my engine replaced. Now I will have to take it back to the dealer so that they can fix it. I can't tell where exactly it is coming from, but hopefully it's an easy fix. I'd probably be better off having monkeys service my VX.

BTW, I saw a White VX on Sunday Dec. 28 going south on I-81 near Wythesville, VA. Anyone here??

Did you try lubing and/or adjusting the hood latch and front corner hood height adjusters/bumpers?

That's what I was hoping it would be, but I checked that as soon as I arrived in NC. It's not either the latch or the rubber adjusters. I don't know if it could be a motor mount or something else that is loose on the engine. I'll try to check it more after work tonight.

Don't forget to check shocks, swaybars and their bushings and links.

i had the same squeaking from under the hood of my vx whenever i was on a bumpy road. Put a wad of grease on the hood latch and presto........squeak go by by. Hope this helps.

yea i had some squeeeeekin under the hood too....then i replace teh hood...no more squeeking...
    ________
    Avandia lawsuit information
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 02:33 PM

Lightbulb

the wad of grease trick was easier and less expensive.;eekg;

Lightbulb Found it!!

Well it only took me a month to get the time to really spend some quality time with my VX checking things out. To be truthful I have been putting it off due to work and traveling alot. The heater fan motor was whining like crazy and totally annoying me so I ripped it out and lubed the crap out of it so it would stop making noise, after completing that task I figured I should take the time to find the squeak under the hood.

I popped the hood and greased the latch (just in case) and greased the rubber contacts or bumpers for the hood (again just in case). I didn't think that those were the culprits so I started methodically shaking different engine parts trying to find a squeak. Radiator moved some but didn't make a sound, battery was tight in the box, engine wouldn't move much and didn't make a noise, and the fuse box was secure. Then I thought of shaking the air intake, squeak, squeak, squeak. Ah ha, it turned out to be the mount holding the intake assembly from sagging onto the wheel well. I have to mention that I have a K&N cone filter so this won't be a problem for anyone running the stock air box. I used an exhuast hanger used for heavy-duty trucks, mounted it upside down to hold the intake up. It has a rubber mount that keeps the metal to metal from touching and making noise, also to stop vibration. Well the rubber mount was squeaking against the metal hanger, so I just lubbed it up and now it's quiet too.

It's so much better driving without annoying squeak and squeal sounds.