Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My SHOCK debate

My SHOCK debate

Here is the deal.....I love the fact that our VX's come stock with the remote res. aluminum KYB shocks and love the level of firmness (IMO the firmer the better) , but the early need for replacement and the lack of my dealers ability to diagnos the shocks as being bad is starting to fustrate me. I took my 01' in because I new the left front shock was bad (did the bounce test, was diving and bouncing way too much), to make a long story short, the dealer told me there was nothing wrong, no visible leak, etc. but then I convinced the service tech after having him do the bounce test that it needed replace (it was). Ok, no my rear end is doing the same as the front was, excessive bouncing, terrible on bumps when cornering, etc. and the dealer again says nothing is wrong and the bump test doesnt really help this time (but I know something is wrong with the shocks, I drive the truck 100 miles every day). So they said to bring it back when it gets worse, but it really sucks driving it this way.

So, even though I like the stock shocks, I have only 10,000 miles left on factory warranty and like 7 months left, and if these things are gonna fail again, I might as well get some good aftermarket replacements.

What does everyone recommend? I tried one front Rancho 9000 when my left front was bad, but the firmest 9 setting wasnt as firm as the stock shocks.

I've been looking at Bilstein 5150 shocks, the new ones with the remote res. just like out stockers, anyone have experience with them?

I'm not sure what to do, keep bugging the dealer and wasting my time, or get some replacements (but I'm not sure what will be as good)!
    Mike Skurich
    1969 C3 Corvette Coupe
    1988 C4 Corvette Coupe
    1992 Misubishi 3000GT VR4
    1997 BMW F650ST
    2001 VehiCROSS
    2002 BMW R1100S
    2005 C6 Corvette Coupe

Bypass the dealer...

...Do as I did, replace your own shocks and have the satisfaction of knowing the job was done right. You can get RANCHO 5000's from www.summitracing.com for around $38 each plus shipping, which isn't bad. The VX uses the same shocks as the Trooper of the same year. I chose Gabriel Ultra's, and I must say the improovement over stock is amazing.

The stock KYB's are over rated and over priced. The gradual loss in dampning ability and the rugged look lulled me into believing they were the "shizNit". They'll fail like any other shock under the right conditions. The good news is shocks are easy to replace. My advise, get a new set of shocks and replace them yourself as needed.
    NAVIGATOR

Or if your low on funds you can try to spray them with WD-40 and make it look like they really are leaking
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

I put in rancho 9000's almost a year ago, and already they are shot. These things just eat shocks. Might as well be a cheaper shock.

I also like the stock settings better, but on a non-rebuildable shock, its too much to spend $2k/year on stock ones.

John C.

wow...shocks every year...god...wat do u do?
    ________
    MARGOSHA_
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 02:32 PM

I've been through 2 sets of stock shocks, and now my rancho's are worn. All I do is drive to work, etc. I do not go offroad.

Maybe I'm more critical than others about shock wear. I suspect most of you have worn out shocks, and just don't feel it.

John C.

hotsauce, I have been saying that same thing. I have had 2 pair of front and one pair of rear shocks in about 2 years. i would not have noticed mine being bad if it was not for the roads i drive every day. and as far as the dealer knowing if the shocks are bad or good,you might as well take your car to Hooters.the dealership has no clue what so ever, at least at Hooters they may be able to tell by the number of bounces they get per bump. lol shawn
    1COOLVX

Smile

I noticed at about 20k miles my fronts were shot. I got dealer to replace them under warranty with no hassles. I tried to get all 4 replaced by saying they were all bad...but, they said only the fronts were leaking. Maybe the key is to push for 4 new shocks and they'll gladly cave to replace what you really need replaced..LOL.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

I'm wondering if I need new shocks. I have 65,000 miles on my VX and I have never replaced them. They aren't leaking and never have. They don't bounce or even feel like they're worn out. Other than those two signs, how would I know when I need new ones? Maybe I have good shocks to make up for the bum engine I had to replace.

You'll know when their bad...my front end would double-triple bounce whenever you came to a hard stop. My rear shocks have 34k on them and seem fine. I kind of laugh because I swear the hardcore 4-wheelers here don't seem to have problems and the mostly on-road people like myself have to replace them.

Lightbulb Maybe it's the roads?

I've noticed looking through this thread that it must be the roads. All the posts are around the same area Maryland, New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. It's gotta be the poor road maintanance that is killing shocks. Or maybe it's the opposite, the roads are possibly too smooth? Mine aren't bad yet and I could probably ride through fields that are better than some of the roads in South Central PA. Just trying to figure out the common link.

Western PA roads suck too! The streets in Pittsburgh can wreck a car.
    I thought the VX has had some extra "bounciness" lately... I guess I'll have the dealership look at them when I take it in.

Joe

Lightbulb

You can get rebuildable Bilstein or Fox shocks with external resevoir for less than $200 each. If you're eating 'em that often it'd be a worthwhile investment in addition to giving a stock or better ride.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Talking

I kind of travel a mixed bag as far as roads...my street is a dirt-road out in (the sticks...the boonies...middle of nowhere....etc.) that gets grated regularly, however, sometimes it is so bad that I think a B-52 went astray on it's way to Baghdad, Iraq and accidently carpet-bombed my road! The other roads are tar&chipped which are actually quite smooth just not healthy for windshields...dope!
    And, finally...I travel the Interstates quite regularly which are in good shape.

Originally posted by joe-yamma
    Western PA roads suck too! The streets in Pittsburgh can wreck a car.
    Joe
    Just rent the movie "Striking Distance" with Bruce Willis....the Police chase early in the movie where they are jumping police cars was filmed in Pittsburgh! Nuff Said!!
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 01/01/2004 at 08:38 AM

Originally posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
    Just rent the movie "Striking Distance" with Bruce Willis....the Police chase early in the movie where they are jumping police cars was filmed in Pittsburgh! Nuff Said!!
    Yeah, that was a good flick! It's funny when you're familiar with Pittsburgh and you watch the chase scene... it jumps around the city big-time. The end of the chase scene is in the South Side which is about 5 mins from my house.

Joe_Black - It interesting that you mention rebuildable shocks... Wasn't somebody here on the forum looking into the possibility of getting the stock shocks rebuilt?
    It seemed like a good idea to me. My motorcycle (Yamaha R1) has KYB suspension on it as well and I know there are many places that specialize in rebuilding (as well as re-valving and improving) motorcycle forks and shocks.

Joe