Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: front tire wear

Hi,

Any update on this subject? I just had my tires 1st time rotated at 16k miles and there were uneven wear on both front tires (inner side of both front tire were almost worn out). Stock tires, rims and no mods to suspension system. On freeway truck goes pretty straight and does not pull to one side, and steeling wheel does not shake either.

Is this an indication that camber alignment is needed. Is this covered by manufacture warranty?

Thanks.
    Last edited by iownvx : 05/03/2004 at 01:42 PM

could this be incorrect ride height? i read a TSB somewhere about the correct ride height . do not remember what it was. if the ride height is incorrect will it cause problems with the alignment? yes it can!! shawn
    here is an article i found:

Height must be right
    Some of today's alignment equipment also can diagnose ride height, which is critical to proper alignment and suspension geometry. Ride height is the angle that all wheel alignment angles are built around and should be kept within manufacturer specifications for optimum performance of the entire steering, suspension and driveline system. XXVehicle modification is another area of concern. When vehicles have been modified from the manufacturer's original design, factory alignment settings may no longer apply. Aftermarket wheels may have different offsets than the original wheels. Altering tire sizes may upset the spindle's distance from the ground, which can have an effect on scrub radius. Raising or lowering vehicle height may alter the suspension and steering systems' geometry during deflection and cause excessive toe change or stress some parts beyond their limits.

Weak, sagging springs can force the entire steering and suspension system to go out of proper alignment, which spells problems for any vehicle. A correct alignment with a sagged suspension can still produce tire wear and handling problems during dynamic operation.

With the sensors attached to each wheel, raise the vehicle under the frame or unibody to the correct height and observe the readings. If the alignment problem is solved, repeat the demonstration for the vehicle's owner and recommend spring replacement.

Air and hydraulically suspended vehicles may have a specified procedure that is necessary to achieve the correct alignment height prior to adjustment. On some air suspension systems, it is first necessary to allow the air in the air spring to reach shop temperature prior to alignment.

If a large difference exists from the shop temperature to the colder outside air, the vehicle height can change during alignment, affecting the readings as the air in the bladder expands. Coil springs are available to replace leaking or failed air spring suspensions on applications such as the Lincoln Town Car, Mercury Grand Marquis and Ford Crown Victoria.

Failure to detect incorrect chassis height can often lead a technician to a wrong diagnosis, such as attributing the lack of adjustment range to a bent frame.
    Last edited by psychos2 : 05/03/2004 at 02:37 PM
    1COOLVX

Had similar issues - but not wearing on one side, mine got "stair stepped" around the edges of the tire causing a thumping noise. Had the alignment checked and tires balanced as soon as I noticed this, but the problem has gotten worse. It's been in 3 times for alignment because the steering wheel is still slightly off center. This started around 9K miles, and I now have 25K on it. I decided to just live with it until I get new tires, but I'm worried that the same thing will happen to the new ones. Izusu nor any of the shops I've been to can give me a resonable explanantion as to why this happenned.