Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need input on tires

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question I need input on tires

I have searched around and have decided to go with a set of Bridgestone dueler A/T Revo's in 265/75/16. My questions are: have any of you guys tried them and will the size cause any problems on my '99 VX? ( I don't want to trim my cladding)
    The comparison poll I read on tirerack.com put the revos above the geolanders on the categories that mattered to me...wear, ride and noise. Not to mention the OEM dueler's were pretty good to me ,48K and they still have a little tread and Bridgestone North America is based in Nashville. Please post your opinions I will be buying these tires in about two weeks and I take the advise of this board seriously...Thanks carl

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo Info
    Last edited by carlymac : 01/06/2004 at 09:20 AM
    carlymac '99 IRONMAN , #0278, Hendersonville, Tn.

Thumbs up Go with 245's...

...Ease all your concerns by getting the proper size or join forces with others who have done the exact same thing with minor modifications. the bottom line is if you don't want to mess with anything keep it stock.
    NAVIGATOR

I understand what your saying Navigator...
    however I really only want to fill the wheel well gap and have a wider tire, Not a monster truck. What size would you recomend for this? maybe a 255/75/16??? or does it take the 265. I just want more tire than the 245 on 16's can provide. Thanks for your input.

I've been shopping for tires lately and even though I liked the Revos the moment I saw them I'm leaning towards some other tires. Don't get me wrong, Revos are the best tires you can get now; it's simply that they where a little beyond my budget, I don't do as much off-road as I'd want to, and after I saw them on a Xterra I didn't like that much the way they'd look on my VX (Or surely what I didn't like was the Xterra... )

Now, webdog has 265/70/16 Revos on his VX and was pretty happy with them in Moab. He posted his impressions HERE

Please post some pictures once you have them on. I'd love to see what I missed.
    Last edited by migil : 01/06/2004 at 01:06 PM

migil, The hyperlink you posted takes me to a new thread page...However I did PM webdog for his take on the revo's. Did he show pics of the revo's on his VX at Moab?

Thumbs up Searched and found 265-70-16 should fit with no problems

... I run my VX pretty hard over rough streets, so I use the stock size, but I have found several VX'rs use the 265-70-16 size with no problem.
    Last edited by Navigator : 01/06/2004 at 12:03 PM

I have the Revos 265/70/16. I love them. Pretty much all pics in my gallery are the VX with the Revos. They are fantastic in snow and are Moab tested tough. $520 for 4 mounted and balanced.
    RichD
    ------------------------------------------------
    ...because vinyl just sounds better!

AnalogVX,
    I checked out your gallery and you ROCK!!! do the 265's rub at all while off road? How do they handle on road, noisey, gas mileage diffrence...etc

I also just realized how much bigger can you go and still use the doughnut spare to get you home?

I'm sorry, not that familiar with including hyperlinks here

This is the correct link

I was between the Revo's and the BFG A/T KO's... I decided to go with the BFG in 255/75/16 and they fit no problem. I really like the BFGs and I got them because I really like the looks of them.

The Revo's look to be great tires (tirerack.com rates them tops in pretty much everything) and I was ready to get them, but changed my mind to the BFG's only because I love the BFG looks and I've always wanted a set of them.

Joe

Originally posted by joe-yamma
    I was between the Revo's and the BFG A/T KO's... I decided to go with the BFG in 255/75/16 and they fit no problem. I really like the BFGs and I got them because I really like the looks of them.

The Revo's look to be great tires (tirerack.com rates them tops in pretty much everything) and I was ready to get them, but changed my mind to the BFG's only because I love the BFG looks and I've always wanted a set of them.

Joe
    Do you have any pictures you can post or e-mail to me?

Thanks
    Live Free or DIE!

Originally posted by carlymac
    AnalogVX,
    I checked out your gallery and you ROCK!!! do the 265's rub at all while off road? How do they handle on road, noisey, gas mileage diffrence...etc

I also just realized how much bigger can you go and still use the doughnut spare to get you home?
    Absolutely no rubbing and no trimming. I wanted the 265/75/16, but the Firestone rep would not install them if they were not listed as an optional replacement. I had to talk them into these. They're just covering their ***** I guess. But either way I love them. Road noise is no worse than the stock Bridgestones and for an all terrain tire they still take on/off ramps at 60 MPH. My only regret is that I got a passenger tire instead of a LT tire. They are still great off road but the LT tire rating would have gave a better sidewall while aired down. The ride is really good too on road, so I guess it's all give and take. Gas mileage is still at 15-17 MPG. These tires are just about an inch over stock larger so I may be able to hobble off the Interstate with with the donut, but I would not trust it much further than the nearest service station to park it and get a tire fixed. I do have a regular Bridgestone A/T for a full size trail spare mounted on a Trooper steel rim.

Well I stopped by my local Bridgestone dealer yesterday afternoon to see the Revo's first hand. The tread pattern looks awesome. In fact the owner of the dealership had a set of 265's on his Chevy Z71. They look even better mounted! during our conversation he mentioned his truck had 24k miles on it and I noticed the Revo's looked a bit worn for >24k. He said they are great tires but they do wear quicker than normal. This goes against everything else I've heard about the tires. He said Bridgestone gave him a set to run and He wasn't impressed with the milage. However, he said the traction was A-1. The only other negative comment he had was that due to the doubble core tread technology the Revos somtimes wear out of round. Now I'm questioning the longevity of the Revo's. I once owned a Taurus SHO and don't wan't to go back to the days of spending $500 every 18 months for tires.
    To those of you who run Revo's...How are they wearing?
    I still like the tire, just am a bit concerned about the life span.

VehiX, sorry no pics yet... I'll try to remember to snap a couple of quick pics this weekend.

AnalogVX, I had a problem with Sam's Club as they gave me a really hard time about installing my 255 BFG's... They're really starting to get anal about installing tires larger than stock.

I must say that the passenger vs LT tire is another reason I went with the BFG over the Revo.

Joe

carlymac,

That surprises me, considering the Revos have a treadwear rating of 500. I was pretty disappointed with the stock tire treadwear (<30K miles) but then again we're talking about original tires with 180 treadwear rating.

Mainly because of budget limitations I decided over the Dunlop Radial Rover A/T. Good looks, fairly good reviews at Tirerack.com, same treadwear, traction and temp. rating as Revos and WAY cheaper. They also have been longer in the market, so reviews were based on more mileage. On top of this, my very few off-road trips in Florida don't call for anything more aggressive

After reading about your findings on the Revos lifespan, I'm already felling better for the choice I made...