Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Front rotors?

Yeah, I emailed them about the diamond slotted. I believe they said they only did front for the VX? Anyway, not too bad of a price... definitely would be better if there was a group buy involved.

Got the front SP Performance (D04-2424) diamond slotted rotors installed this weekend with new pads and very, very nice. It already feels so much better. Gotta break them in for a 100 miles and then I'll do the head to head test against Lisa’s VX. Then I will add the braided lines and see what kind of improvement I get.

Install took about an hour per side and was about like a bearing repack except that the rear bearing stays captured in the hub that is moved over to the new rotor. I took lots of pics and will post a how to soon. With my wheels I can’t see the rotors that well so the slots don’t show that much. I also painted the calipers a dark grey hammer’tone’ finish while I was in there.
    Last edited by Tone : 02/16/2004 at 07:56 PM

Nice Tone... looking forward to the pics!

Tone, thanks awesome pics ! I've noticed that you have similar grooved surface on rear (?) rotors. mine were like that from day one when VX was new.
    Please share your opinion on new rotors (performance) as I am about to do the same thing.
    many thanks !
    Andrey

I had a caliper stick on the right front rotor and it ground the brake pad (BTW, the inside pads do NOT have squealies on them) and trashed the back side of the rotor. New ones are great but I'm not sure that much better than stock but they were cheaper so it worked out. Still need to go head to head with a stocker and see but I don't expect a substantial improvement. Changing to braided lines this weekend.

Tone -

Did you ever finish writing up a howto on the rotor replacement? What about repacking the bearings?

Did you notice a significant improvement after switching to the steel braided brake lines?

Also, are the rotors treated in any way to prevent the rusting that normally occurs on the stock rotors?

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...7C%7EEA%7C%7EV

$22 per rotor. If you want fancy patterns on it to make you feel better about your gassing problem that doesn't exist with modern pads then scratch them in with a rusty nail.
    2000 Black VX 105k

New rotors made a difference but sure if was enough to justify the cost. They do not rust like the stock ones did and I do believe they do let heat out better on repeated or hard stops. It does stop a little shorter than the GF's VX for sure though.

Now braided lines on the other hand are incredible! So much more responsive, way better brake feel and performance - no longer feels like the pedal is going to the floor on hard stops. HIGHLY recommend the braided lines from Darlington! Wish I had put them on earlier - a little messy but worth it.

How-to is just like the bearing repack already written up just swapping the rotor instead of putting the old one back on....