Thread: Remote programming

Remote programming

Hi guys/girls.....when I got my 1999 it didn't come with a remote, so I bought a used one (also from a 1999 VX....looks beat up but the red light comes on, so I am guessing the battery is good & it still works) The problem is it's not the original of course, and can I re-program it to be compatible with my doors/factory security system?

I read part of the programming options manuel and it starts with sit in the drivers seat with the doors shut and hit the top button to lock/unlock the doors......right from there I get no response. I didn't figure it would work without doing something first, but I am not great with these kinds of things so if anyone has any advice that can help me out, I would appreciate it. Thanks again!

P.S. The Isuzu dealer here was no help at all over the phone, but told me to bring it in. Not really what I want to do if I can program it myself.

Later,
    ~Kiersten

Might want to check past posts. People are allways talking about the remote system

Thanks.....should have searched that first.....I got some info from that, so I'll try it out tomorrow

Thanks again!
    ~Kiersten

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    There should be a post regarding a green button on the alarm module under the dash. That might be the one you need. Posted by Tone, if I remember correctly.

different remote

I"m not 100% sure....but it sounds like your remote transmits a different frequency to lock/unlock than your VX's installed alarm is expecting. I doubt this is something you're going to be able to figure out yourself, you're basically looking to 'guess' what frequency your VX is looking for.

Go to a car stereo/car alarm place and ask them. They might have a way to figure this out. They have ways to set standard remotes for the right frequency, but you don't know what that frequency is. You might just have to bite the bullet and buy a totally new alarm and have them install it. This is no loss anyway, since the stock alarm on the VX ain't that great anyway.

You should consider buying an automatically-setting alarm (a "passive" alarm) anyway--one that will set the alarm approx 30 seconds after all the doors close. Not sure how it works in canada, but insurance companies usually give you a bigger discount on passively-arming systems, than on ones you have to manually enable.

I'm fairly certain that The Green Button reset thing either resets the alarm module to the NEW REMOTE frequency, or resets the new remote to the alarm module frequency.

Also, I believe the factory alarm can be set up for passive arming.

Also, I believe the factory alarm can be set up for passive arming.

How do you do that? I want to do that, is it something you can do without knowing much about car alarms?

Go to the home page. Go to quick links. Go to downloads. Download the VX alarm manual. The info should start on pages 8 and 12. Auto arming will not lock your doors for you.