Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Driveshaft

Question Driveshaft

I stopped by the dealer today because when I brake hard and let up, sometimes I hear a "thud." Not a big deal but I wanted to make sure it wasn't something serious. The dealer spent 8 hours with my rig (no loaner for me) and then came back and said the driveshaft had "moved a little." WTF!? He also said that it was very common to this model and to the Ford Ranger. They offered to replace the driveshaft but said it would move again in 10k miles. What is this BULL*****?! Sounds like they don't know wtf they're talking about (probably because they're a Ford dealer) and they had to make something up.....

Everyone says that's normal. When you brake hard the tranny doesn't have time to shift all the way down to first gear before the transmission stops turning, so when you let off the brake that thud is just first gear engaging. You just wasted 8 hours listing to BS at your shop.
    Canadian VXer!

Yup, that's what I figured....Somebody is going to get punched in the head for this.

Mine does that too

How normal can it be? In 25 years of driving the VX is the first car to do it for me. Anyone else get the thud when they brake hard then let up?
    I Loved My Space Buggy

I use to get it a lot, but now i have new transmission and haven't really noticed it. I'll try and listen for it. As for a good dealer in Denver VXRanger, go to Courtesy Isuzu on S. Broadway. They're awesome!

I've felt/heard it. I thought it was the Interceptor at first, but the Interceptor only adjust pressure during upshift.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Thanks Tonka! I was actually down there looking at an RSX-S...Good to know they're reliable. They actually had a 2001 Ironman when I was there.

Did Isuzu make a 2001 IRONMAN?

I have been listening for it and i can't hear it. There is a small thud but no clunk like before. I would try changing the transmission fluid. It might be old and burnt. My VX started leaking transmission coolant (something like that) and turned my trans-fluid black! It started leaking again and i started having lots of transmission problems. Dealer replaced the whole tranny for free! Thank god for the warranty.

Yes, the ironmans are the white VX's. And that one on that lot i want parts off of. My VX is showing some wear and tear. I need to get a couple things.
    Last edited by Tonka : 02/01/2004 at 08:13 PM

Glad to hear the "thud" is common - I guess I'm glad. I noticed the thud at times right away and wondered what it was.

Has anyone heard a humming from the back that speeds and slows with VX? I thought it was my worn tires, but its still there after getting new tires and an alignment. It may be normal for a VX, but thought I'd ask in case its the start of something serious. Rear diff or transfer case low on fluid? Wheel bearing?

JT

Originally posted by On Your Left
    Glad to hear the "thud" is common - I guess I'm glad. I noticed the thud at times right away and wondered what it was.

Has anyone heard a humming from the back that speeds and slows with VX?
    JT
    Yes "Thud" is common especially when unexpected braking occurs.
    Got the "Humming" sound when I first got my VX. Dealer could not find anything wrong.

Fix: Install Subwoofers
    The Bantan's Relm
    Gallery
    Myspace Page
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things we care about."

hahahah! good thinkin'

Originally posted by Bantan
    Got the "Humming" sound when I first got my VX. Dealer could not find anything wrong.
    It means your VX likes you.

It is good to hear this is normal because this "thud" is very common for me too. My first educated guess would have been that the U-joints were going bad.
    '99 Vehicross - Daily Driver
    '93 Wrangler - Tank in Progress

The thud happens to me and I also have the whine at lower speeds. I contibute this to fluids. I'm going to lube the driveshaft and change out the diff and axle fluids. We'll see what happens after this.
    Live Free or DIE!