Thread: Center Cap: modification

Center Cap: modification

Well, plan originally was to get some cc's machined out of aluminum in the shape of a skull.

everyone i have talked to around here cant do, or wont.

so my question is: what is the feasability to make cc's out of the same plasticish material that Ron uses for his skidplates?

i know if i hit a rock its over for that cap, but does the cap itself provide any functional purpose besides covering the hole in the wheel?

i know on regular cars thats all its for, but with the V no clue, havent taken a tire off yet to look.

I don't believe something like that will throw your wheel off balance, if that's what your worried about. Since it would be on the center of the hub, it shouldn't have too much effect as long as the relief of the sculpt isn't too deep.

You can either make those center caps yourself or have someone make them for you. Trick is to create a billet base that's the same size as the insert (I would use the existing center caps and just replace the plastic "Isuzu" cover) and either you or someone else sculpt a skull on there. Then it's a matter of making a silicon mold cast from the original. You use the mold to pour and cast 4 copies that you finish and attach to the centers. You can do this yourself - it's not that difficult. Use a smooth-on product like Smooth-Cast™ 45D & 60D (it really takes a beating) - you could mold them in a color like red for effect or use another material and have them chrome plated (chrometech is pretty cheap for small plastic parts).

There's really a lot you can do if you're handy with tools and don't mind experimenting. The hardest part of it is getting the bubbles out of the casting. Pros either use a vacuum table or some type of vibration - home casting takes a lot more effort.

Ron's skidplate is poured ABS plastic, I believe (or it may be vulcanized - I don't remember what method he's using).

-- Best, John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"