Thread: Rear schocks failed !

Rear schocks failed !

After about 30K miles and some really cold days (and weeks) here, in Boston, I've noticed excessive bouncing and low pitch "bang" sound coming from the rear of the VX. I've traveled to Isuzu Fuller in Watertown (Boston) twice with complaints. I have an extended warranty and I've asked "knowlegable" techs from Isuzu to ride in the car and diagnose the problem. My ext. warranty company said they will replace the part (if needed) but I have to pay $75 to Isuzu to diagnose. Well, to make a long story short - Isuzu said - it is supposed to drive like that (yeah, right....) and I went to another shop for checkup. They noticed bang and after removing red rubber boots off our KYB's noticed bluid liaking (small amounts). Outside shocks were dry. After they were replaced (by insurance) my VX rides like new again and I can enjoy it.
    I plan to send both schocks to Isuzu USA along with Invoices from Isuzu Fuller and their "expert" opinion tech and ask them where do they train techs if they can not even distinguish leaking shocks ???
    I do not think I wanna ever go to Isuzu Service again!
    Andrey

that bang was your bump stops........ and I know how bouncing around is... after I rolled I think I had a blown rear shock...and the other was shot before long after taking all the slack...constant bump stop banging .and the sagging POS Calmini springs...forced me to get new springs and get new xtra stiff shocks...

Problem solved.....

Mine doesn't bang, but the front is extremely bouncy (even on the highway at speed)...

I will definitely be looking into either getting the KYB's rebuilt or aftermarket shocks this summer.

I've been watching the "replacement shock" thread closely.

Joe

Andrey, sounds like the exact problem (shock and dealer) that I had. I knew my right rear shock was bad, a lot of bouncing, noise, etc. Had the dealer inspect it, test drove it with mechanic and service guy, nothings wrong, come back if it gets worse. Man was I pissed. I was about to go to another dealer, but I took both rear shocks off, the good one immediately extended to full length and was very difficult to compress, the bad one wouldnt extend and moved up and done easily. There was no visible leakage, but you could shake it and hear a noise. Took both loose shocks to the dealer, the tech said, oh well, we dont get paid to remove the shocks to inspect them. The service advisor appologized and said I should have never had to do that. Oh well, got the one bad one replaced. My front one was easier to convince the service tech, by using the bounce test (didnt work well for the rea - maybe because of the solid axle). This was after they told me there was nothing wrong, since the dash didnt display a warning or service light. They tried to tell me I had electronic suspension....boy did I lay into them on that one, idiots!!!
    Mike Skurich
    1969 C3 Corvette Coupe
    1988 C4 Corvette Coupe
    1992 Misubishi 3000GT VR4
    1997 BMW F650ST
    2001 VehiCROSS
    2002 BMW R1100S
    2005 C6 Corvette Coupe

Originally posted by joe-yamma
    Mine doesn't bang, but the front is extremely bouncy (even on the highway at speed)...

I will definitely be looking into either getting the KYB's rebuilt or aftermarket shocks this summer.

I've been watching the "replacement shock" thread closely.

Joe
    you know, I've paid them to remove schocks for inspection !!! The tech removed one and "slightly touched it" and moved it up and down with two fingres..... ( is that I ladie's hand that one should be gentle ??? NO - it is a heavy truck, with short wheel base which makes 'em shocks work VERY hard ! and to be honest - I am not sure if Isuzu correctly calculated if KYBs can be up to this task on VX.

As soon as I will have a minute I will go to Service Director, put two failed schocks infront of him and Invoices where tech says "Everything OK" "Truck supposed to drive like that !"

Good info to know guys... I will probably take one (or more) of mien off this spring/summer to test them before replacing.

Unfortunately, I only have Drivetrain warranty left on my 99 VX, so I'll be replacing them on my own.

Oh well, at least when I spend the $$$, the VX will ride like is it supposed to. That will me a mod that is well worth the $$$ !!!

Joe