Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Got my PV muffler!

Originally posted by WyrreJ
    Bunch of *******.
    LOL!!!
    I had mine installed at an offroad shop, they tend to brace things a little better (installed 2 extra hangers) and the price was $100 not too aweful but probobally could be done cheaper. Just make sure they add at least one more hanger to replace the old stock one.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Went for my MA State inspection yesterday and was rejected due to the PV noise. At first the guy told me that they need to call the registry police to inspect a vehicle thought to be breaking the "sound barrier" but he handed me my registration and I found another garage that passed me. Whew! That never happened before.

Scott
    Scott

Question sound byte

I know it is not the real thing but is there a sound byte where someone can download to get an Idea of how this sounds? Maybe a before and after as well since I read some posts that the sound changes over time.

Just an idea for future owners who might be interested but are hesitant on the sound.
    Last edited by azskyrider : 03/30/2004 at 03:35 PM

I was at Starbucks once and went to start up my VX to leave just as a cop pulled in. He walked over and took a walk around my VX, and asked if the exhaust was stock. I told him it was called PowerVault, specifically designed for the VX. I expected some little lecture and maybe even an inspection ticket at that point. But, all he could say was that it sounded great for a 3.5 V6 and he thought it sounded similar to his V8 5.0 Stang he had at home.

Also the same cop who told me at a later date (ya, I see him at Starbucks all the time now) that the VX reminds him of a 427 Cobra modified to be a 4wd vehicle, heh.

Still loving my PV!
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Scott,
    You were breaking the "sound barrior"
    The PV must've made your VX WAY fast! Good thing he didn't give you a speeding ticket!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

The PV DEFINITELY gets better over time! I marvel at the sound the V6 is pushing every time I drive it!

I made a sound clip (several actually) a while back. I will try to post them soon. I may redo it though first so you can hear it better. I kinda decided to drop posting them before when Tone posted that he had 2 or 3 left and then the PVs would be gone anyway.

Originally posted by Heraclid
    I made a sound clip (several actually) a while back. I will try to post them soon. I may redo it though first so you can hear it better. I kinda decided to drop posting them before when Tone posted that he had 2 or 3 left and then the PVs would be gone anyway.
    Wondering if the sound is like those with the tricked out CIVICs... You know those high winning sound but no go...

Originally posted by azskyrider
    Wondering if the sound is like those with the tricked out CIVICs... You know those high winning sound but no go...
    NO!!!!! Mine has a great sound starting up and at idle its a really low wu-wu-wu-wu-wu-wu, not as deep as a V8 with nice exhaust, but it still is deep. And when I rev it up it it kinda crackles (deep crackle) like a 4 wheeler. It's a hard sound to explain but it's definateley not whaiaiaiaiaiai..... The supercharger definately made a change in the tone but before I installed the SC I noticed it was getting deeper and deeper the more I drove.
    It is loud but its not winey like a rice rocket.
    I absolutely love the sound it makes!

Originally posted by azskyrider
    If you're seriously wondering, then do a search on the sound. Questioning the sound has come up too many times.

Okay, I'll post the video/audio I made. Just tell me what you want, because the files are huge and I can probably only host one of the clips at a time on the site I have set up. I have:

1. Startup and idle, (from inside the cabin) - pick one of the others with more to hear :-)

2. Startup, idle, and revved, all inside cabin, plus idle outside of cabin

3. cruising at a steady 50 mph (inside cabin

4. decelerating into a turn and then normal moderate acceleration, (inside cabin) - the most like normal daily use

Keep in mind revving and driving at the same revs does not sound the same. In my opinion, 2 and 4 are the best. Actually I may be able to do both...

P.S. - There's another with clip under hard acceleration.
    Last edited by Heraclid : 03/30/2004 at 05:39 PM

The only gripe I have with it is when you floor it....it's LOUD! I need to get that SC in there to back up that sound with a set of BIG BALLS.

Draftsman of the dead

Here's a vid clip for ya... will try to post more later...

http://home.comcast.net/~davidsfiles/wsb/STARTNREV.MPG
    Last edited by Heraclid : 03/30/2004 at 05:44 PM

Still lovin' my PV. Althouh, the ricer in front my my VX in traffic today was drowning out my deep growl with his 1200cc powered chainsaw muffler.

And Jay, I have to ask man....

....what's her #?

Just watch that clip.... oddly enough, mine sounds MUCH deeper. It could be the sound in the clip though. Also, that weird Star Trek sounding "whut-whut-whut" sound.... I am hoping that is just something from the clip, or you have a banana in your tailpipe.
    Last edited by WormGod : 03/31/2004 at 07:32 AM

this has become my favorite thread now that blondie avatar makes her presence!