Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Downshift Clunk!!!!

Attn Cobrajet-
    My clunk was not the tranny...it was the driveshaft splines binding. Apparently the grease was working less then it was supposed too and the tolerances which are spec'd very tight were to tight. Therefore they were binding, and I got that god awful clunk, post braking which drove me nutz-
    Ask for an A-Z look at the driveshaft. You should also find my last post immiediatly following my service with the diagnosis. I brought in a couple copied emails from the Forum and it seemed to help my Master Mechanic get it isolated and fixed. Tranny works killer now, and I'm going to that autotrans Interceptor to make better use of it.
    Good luck an holler at me if you need any other insight-
    peace
    face the mirror

Since I took mine back the second time I have not been experiencing the clunk as much, or as severe. The tech did say that he shot some grease into the U-joints and splines, but said they had enough grease in them. I suspect that the grease I used was not compatable with the factory stuff, since it seemed to start shortly after I performed the 7500 mile service. I'll buy some new grease that matches EXACTLY the specs from the manual for my next service. Your solutions would support my theory. Thanks for the follow-up; I did note it in the other thread.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Greg-
    My tech said that the grease was not working sufficient??? And he checked the tolerances and said they were way to tight, despite his first diagnosis(pull, twist, and turn I think), and had to get into it to check some shims?. He ended up replacing the entire U joints and my stuff has been money since. No clunk and my tranny shifts sweet-
    Great to hear your clunk is going away-whatever works-