Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Black Rock Mountain 2004

What do you guys think of moving the meet to later in the summer then? I know some of the group took off from work and stuff and I wouldn't want to dissappoint. If there's still some people who want to meet we can do something - I'd love to get larger participation though, and maybe moving it will give us that. Thoughts?

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

I love the summers on the east coast and I bet Black Rock Mountain will be awesome that time of year. It would work better on my schedule, then I could get more mod's installed!!!
    -The Rave-
    North Carolina

If we're all in agreement, I'd say to postpone the meet until the summer. Of the people who have committed to coming, can I get a show of virtual hands?

-- Best, John

not one that commited to go but, I wasn't going to make this one. But later in the summer I probally can make it.
    Last edited by VehiP&J : 04/02/2004 at 08:29 AM

Another full day with the D.A.
    John if you and the others want to postpone I maybe can make the next one. But don't change on the account of me. I believe I'll be on our boatpatrol unit this summer but let me know and if it's not a huge water holiday (ie...4th july,labor day) I can usually swap shifts
    carlymac '99 IRONMAN , #0278, Hendersonville, Tn.

Hi Gang,

Sorry about late reply- I'm off in WI right now...

carlymac- I personally don't think it would be "Black Rock II" if you were not there. ..

I don't like the idea of cancelling the meet (as I need an excuse to spend some time in a tent BAD) but it also seems as though the kharmic forces are not in proper alignment with this one.

Postpone? I am sure the leaves are beautiful in the fall there.....

I'm OK with moving- let's just not forget! BRII must happen!!!!

-gruven
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Been off the board for a while and just got back from CCNA bootcamp (my brain hurts!) to find out I wouldn't be able to make the original date (04.17) due to work. Soooo, a re-schedule would make me all kinds of happy 'cause I was majorly into making this meet. Got another RallyCross on May 15th, so anything else works for me as long as the dates are advance enough for me to threaten my co-workers.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

OK - it's settled then. What month would work best for everyone for a reschedule? I would think sometime this summer would be best. June maybe?

-- Best, John

Keeping an eye on this thread. I'll be in Brevard (NC) this again summer for the usual trek to visit dear ol' mom. It's just south of Asheville in Pisgh. Should be there for a week or so. I know most of the areas' logging trails inside & out while photographing over 50 waterfalls (cheap hobby)...I might be of some "expedition" help if I'm there when y'all are. George
    ________
    AIRSOFT SHOTGUN
    Last edited by geshaw30 : 03/30/2011 at 07:06 PM

Well, I plan on spending the weekend of the 17th in my new-found oasis of Hot Springs, NC. Just about two hours above Black Rock.

The weekend of the 17th is also Trail Fest in Hot Springs, celebrating the hoards of hikers visiting from along the Appalachain Trail, which runs down main street and crosses the scenic French Broad River on the edge of town.

So far, the locals report mine as being the only VX that has made an appearance on Main Street, anyone else care to join in and show-up all those little Soobie Outbacks and Foresters?
    ...behold a government which to bigotry gives no sanction and to persecution no assistance...
    1790 Geo. Washington

Skullcap, I'm in! I can come in early Saturday and need to return saturday evening cause I am flying to Chicago bright and early Sunday morning. whats the plan and details? What would be a good time to meet? I have a 4 hour commute, so I may want to leave Friday night instead and either go have way and get a hotel or camp somewhere close!

Thumbs up www.hotspringsnc.org

I'm not planning anything formally, but The Duckett House B&B is one place to start. If you ask for Frank or Brian, tell them you're associated with me and maybe they can give you a good deal on lodging: http://www.ducketthouseinn.com/

The Bridge Street Inn and Café is another good bet on Main Street. They've only got 4- rooms, but the kibbles are highly recommended. In fact, make reservations for dinner on the creek-side deck and tell Jay or Steve that Alex sent you. http://www.bridgestreetcafe.com/

Nearby, the Forest Service operates a very scenic seasonal campground on Hwy 209 at the Rocky Bluff gorge (828) 622-3202.

Otherwise, the Hot Springs have a campground on the banks of the French Broad River and, of course, Asheville is full of options and night-life and a close 40 minute drive.

For more information about the Hot Springs & Trailfest go to: http://www.hotspringsnc.org/

P.S. If you want to relax in the Hot Springs, I highly recommend reserving your tub in advance of your trip. On weekends, tubs are available until midnight.

Damn, I was'nt thinking anything formal either! This place seems cool. What the heck are you talking about reserving hot springs? I just want to go wheeling and play outside, maybe with my dog, but if there are outdoor springs, might be worth taking a look!

Hot Springs

Perhaps now you'll understand my new-found addiction to this place. There aren't too many towns where Main Street shares the Appalachian Trail, after crossing an excellent whitewater river where a 103-degree natural hot spring bubbles-up into 12 open-air jacuzzi tubs tucked discretely into a forest.

Oh yeah, it's on the Tennessee border, so there are two national forests (Pisgah and Cherokee) and a few good muddin' roads. For those not interested in slopping-up their ride, SR 209 is one of NC's most scenic rural roads. A 30 minute drive south on 209 and you'll lose count of the hairpins as you ascend through classic Appalachia to Max Patch, a grassy-bald - with a 360 degree view of the Smokies and Blue Ridge Mountains - where zepplins once brought socialites to visit the spas in Hot Springs on their way to the Vanderbilt's Biltmore Estate in Asheville.

No, I don't even work for the Chamber of Commerce!

Except that there is only one gas station and one DIY car-wash bay, I swear, it's THE perfect place for a southeastern states meet

Oh, and I have word there might be a secluded cabin available on Deer Park Mountain that sleeps up to 3 couples for $125 per night for the first couple, and $25 for each additional person.

I love that whole area. Try to go back whenever I can, most recently last October for our anniversary. Toured the Biltmore and that was neat, but just love the area in general. Good for the soul.