Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Chrome Wheels Warranty!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Chrome Wheels Warranty!!

I love my new shinny chrome rims!!
    Yes, they replaced the peeling ones w/out even a question. Brought in my 2001 VX in with 15,000 mi and the warranty good till 11/04. The Izuzu rep looked at them and that was that.
    IMPORTANT TO KNOW....mine were only peeling on the inside of the rim and it had NOT peeled on the outside yet.

Check your rims!!!!

SO...ANY OF YOU WITH THIS PROBLEM AND SOME WARRANTY TIME LEFT GET THAT VX IN THERE NOW!!!!

They also tried to glue new headlight gaskets on the lamps but I assume that will not last long. Actually they did one and somehow overlooked the other light!!! It has no gasket at all!!! Thats not saying much for the service dept. The service manager was supposed to have inspected the work for me!!!!

They also fixed my failed passenger window with a new window motor and regulator.

Cheers,
    Dave

PS...if your wondering it was Cerami/Izuzu on Rt 17 in Paramus NJ
    "MARS ATV"
    NASA's Martian Surface Exploration All Terrain Vehicle Prototype

Yeah, you have to be the original owner, and have less that 15k miles, otherwise like me (20,000 + miles and second owner, your screwed).
    Mike Skurich
    1969 C3 Corvette Coupe
    1988 C4 Corvette Coupe
    1992 Misubishi 3000GT VR4
    1997 BMW F650ST
    2001 VehiCROSS
    2002 BMW R1100S
    2005 C6 Corvette Coupe

Had my wheels replaced at 28,000 miles for the same porblem no questions asked...also had the headlights replaced because of the gasket peeling off.

From all the reports over the years it sounds like dealers are just making up reasons to dishonor the warrantee. Without actually double-checking, I'm pretty sure that the warrantee doesn't call out the chrome wheels as having less coverage than the rest of the car.

HEY MIKE...AKA VR4-Quest

I'm the second owner, have only till 11/04 on my 3 yr warranty and there is 15,000 miles on the truck!!
    They replaced the chrome wheels w/out any fight or question...

you should deffinately go back to them and make sure they honor this for you!!!

cheers,

Dave

Then I need to try another dealer, the Isuzu dealer in Maryland where I bought it and the one I service it here in Ohio both said only warrantied to the original owner with less than 15,000 miles (both looked into it), or maybe I need to call Isuzu.

I also had my rims replaced at 20,000 miles. It's covered under the original 36,000 mile Body/etc. warranty. Sounds to me like the dealer is definitely pulling your chain. After 8,000 more miles, the rims are already starting to pit! I mean, seriously.... I wipe those things down twice a week. The salt in the winter is what kills them. Next time they Pit, I'm switching to an Aluminum rim. No more Chrome.
    "If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up too much space...." -Perry Kloska

2nd owner here got mine replaced around 50,000 miles, I know I was lucky but just telling you with enough bitching to corporate Isuzu you can get it done!
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Man, throw those stupid looking things down the sewer, and get some wheels that actually help the VX look better.
    (of course, it's just my opinion)...... Uh oh!!!!........................
    "The USA Is Making Enemies Faster Than We Can Kill 'Em!"

OEM Chrome Wheels ?

Has anyone reported pitting/peeling on the 'outside' (outer-most ?) part of the wheel ?
    My OEM wheels are pitted and peeling on the inside .... and I am wondering if this pitting will proceed to the outside of the wheel.

Re: OEM Chrome Wheels ?

Originally posted by t2p
    Has anyone reported pitting/peeling on the 'outside' (outer-most ?) part of the wheel ?
    My OEM wheels are pitted and peeling on the inside .... and I am wondering if this pitting will proceed to the outside of the wheel.
    As far as I now no one has had the outside peel but I know if I still had my wheels they would be getting close. I had a 2"x10" "gash" of peeling chrome on the inside. I'm sure over time it will reach the outside, but it takes a while.

Lightbulb

I put my VX in the garage in January and took all 4 wheels off washed them and then put 3 coats of wax on them. They seem to wash off better thru the winter. I kinda like the looks of the stock 18's especially when they are nice and clean and shiny

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    If you want factory wheels and can't get warranty replacements, see my "neat wheels" thread, items 2 and 3. They appear to be our wheels in chrome and also in a non pitting/ peeling brushed or painted silver finish.

Not cheap with shipping, but if you gotta have this type of wheel, it's still cheaper than buying new from a dealer.

Originally posted by PDOGG23
    I also had my rims replaced at 20,000 miles. It's covered under the original 36,000 mile Body/etc. warranty. Sounds to me like the dealer is definitely pulling your chain. After 8,000 more miles, the rims are already starting to pit! I mean, seriously.... I wipe those things down twice a week. The salt in the winter is what kills them. Next time they Pit, I'm switching to an Aluminum rim. No more Chrome.

Is this true?....I brought mine in, told me they called Isuzu and I was'nt covered.

I got 32k, they said I was covered up til 15k.....I also have exstended warranty. I'm getting my headlights replaced, that's covered.....weird.
    Draftsman of the dead

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    I think the warranty mentions cosmetic items being covered for 1 yr. / 12K mi. Most dealers will try to use this as a basis for excluding the wheels.

The first option is to try a different dealer.

Different dealers seem to handle this situation differently. The fact is, the wheels are defective. The copper base plating has separated from the aluminum, why? Poor prep. and/or defective/ incompatible materials? This is not normal "cosmetic" wear for a chrome wheel and indicates an underlying problem.

You might also try directly approaching the service manager from the angle that you believe that the delamination of the chrome is related to a "structural or manufacturing defect" and that the exposed aluminum will be subjected to continued and accellerated corrosion and structural degradation, all of which calls the "safety" of the wheel(s) into question. If he says the wheels are fine, just have him put in writing, on a dated company document .

Then try a different dealer.

Maybe one of our "jailhouse lawyers" can get the actual total number of U.S. 2000 and 2001 wheels that have been warrantied via a "freedom of info" filing?
    Last edited by SGT.BATGUANO : 03/23/2004 at 10:26 PM