Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: VX Lifts...

Quote Originally Posted by SPAZZ
    you CAN change just the boot...
    Just found out I've got a torn boot (driver's side). I'm searching for instructions to change it, but no luck so far. Can anyone point me in the right direction? What parts will I need besides the boot and clamps?
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

It really depends on how long it's been torn. You would definately want to put more grease at the least. Once it's opened up, you may find more damage. Sometimes it's just easier to change the whole shaft.
    Scott / moncha.com

Another option, is to use poly spacers. The Old Man Emu springs have a different spring rate than stock. They will give you about 1.5" of lift. If you want to keep stock spring rate or lift VX more/less than 1.5", then the spacers are probably a better choice. The spacers come in 1", 2" and 2.5" lift. They will run less than $100. Checkout the daystar web site for more info.

Also, on the manual hubs, you will have to add the TOD disconnect switch if you add manual hubs. If you run TOD, with unlocked hubs, it confuses TOD and you will get an error light. I found this out w/ my '01 trooper. That said, the hubs and TOD disconnect switch are worthwhile mods. Aside from saving driveline wear, the setup removes quite a bit of driveline friction. Mileage will and ride will improve slightly.
    Last edited by wareagle : 02/19/2005 at 07:02 AM
    '95 Trooper LS w/ 5spd, front lockright, rear LSD, Tera Low, 1.5" OME coils, 2.5" Daystar spacers, Nissan Patrol RS9000s, ARB Bullbar, Warn M8000, 33" Firestone Destination MTs, SURCO rack.

here's a link to boot replacement for an isuzu.

http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/tech/CVboots/?

Thanks, wareagle! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm pretty sure I can just replace the boot because it hasn't been torn very long. We'll see when I get in there.

Well guess what? Those instructions were excellent, and I had no major problems getting the half axle taken apart and rebuilt. Then, when everything was almost complete, I found out the part the local auto parts store sold me was not the right one! The boot was about 1/8" too large (in diameter). Soooo, I had to tear everything apart again and drive to a parts store an hour away to get the right one. I'll post a write up / howto when I get everything completed tomorrow.

My advise - anyone with cranked torsion bars should pay close attention to those CV boots. If one tears, you can fairly easily fix it if you catch it son enough and save yourself the cost of a new axle.