Thread: Rancho 9000 Question...

Lightbulb Rancho 9000 Question...

Is it normal for Rancho's NOT to expand by themselves like conventional shocks do?

Also even on the hardest setting I had no problem pulling or pushing the rods by hand. The stock KYB rear shocks were hard to compress by hand AND expanded bak to full length on there own, whereas the Ranchos can be compressed with ease between my hands and do not expand on their own fresh out the box. Is this normal for Rancho's, I need to know before I install these so that I can return them if necessary. Thanks.

BTW by comparison the Gabriels were about 50% easier to compress by hand than stock where on the number 9 setting the Rancho's are 90% easier to compress and on number 1 98% easier to compress. Conclusion based on old school test, Ranchos are even softer than Gabriels out of the box. If hand comperssion is any true indication of firmness of the shock, I'm old school, so perhaps the conventional press and expand test does not apply to Rancho technology or I got a set of duds. Please advise.
    NAVIGATOR

Nav, when I removed my rears, one stock shock would expand by it's self and the other would not. I think the stock shock that expanded by itself, was the bad one. Leaking! The shocks are NOT supposed to expand all by them self! Once I put my new 9000's on the rear, it was like a brand now VX. I love'm! I have my rears set at 5 right now. Once I get the fronts installed next week, I'll play with the setting, to see what I like the best.

Dave...
    Always a kid at heart!

I had that concern at first also Nav, but I put my concern to the test and installed anyways. I was pleasantly surprised. At first, I only installed the front shocks and took it for a spin to test it. The ride was SUPER bouncy and had a lot of vertical sway. I then installed the rears and took it for a ride. Yep, that did it. It tightened up all around. It takes all 4 shocks to make the ride 100% correct. It's not as tight as the stocks so turns will feel a little more out of a lean but you can kiss 75% of the jolt from speedbumps and potholes away. And even though the Ranchos feel loose on #9 (which is where I keep it at), I have yet to bottom out the bump stops. Very smooth ride now. I don;t know if I would recommend this shock for extensive offroad use though cause I can see where it will put the bump stops to the test.

The stock shocks fire back out simply because they are charged shocks. The resevoir helps them maintain that extra oomph by collecting overflow from the shock's master cylinder, then it is fired back in upon release of compression. Damn good shocks if you ask me, but I just don't need the super solid ride with all the potholes around here, heh. If I can get some softness hitting one instead of the teeth jarring thud I used to get, I will take it.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I don't think I have a manual, but can you answer this question:

Which gear is the stiffest and which is the lightest?

1= Stiff for offroad use?
    9= Soft for daily driving?

please let me know!
    -The Rave-
    North Carolina

You know NC, I THINK it's the other way around. I don't recall right now. My Ranchos didnt ship with any instructions or a manual. I had to feel them out by hand to determine, but i think it was 9 that was most firm and 1 that was softest.

Correct me if I am mistaken. I simply forget now, heh.

I think 9 is the best for offroad, but now you got me thinking. I am going to check it out today!

HI,
    I have the 9000s and love them... 1=Soft and 9=Firm.
    I use 5.. perfect for me.
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Thumbs up Got 3 on 1 to go...

Awsome shocks, got mine set to 7. Ah the twisties never felt so kool. Got too dark to install the driver side rear, upper bolt is a Bizni@ch. Will finish up tomorrow, The ride is excellent

Did you guys install them yourself or took it to the shop? Is it a DIY project or not?

Thumbs up It's a DIY Project...

Just 2 bolts per shock. Fronts are very easy, rears require upper body strength or air tools, either way it's an easy bolts on/off type job.

Rancho

I am having Rancho 9000s installed this morning.

Results to follow.

Howard

Do you need an alignment after you put on the new shocks?

Shocks

Driver3,

The shocks do not alter your alignment.

Howard