View Poll Results: what year VX did the engine failure occur?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • '99?

70 55.12%
  • '00?

21 16.54%
  • '01?

36 28.35%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Engine failure poll?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    are these failures do to starvation from gunk build up ?
    if so has anyone tried the A.T.F. trick

UPDATE: I do smell gas in my oil, but the oil is not thin and I can read it just fine (1000 miles of driving on this change, most of it a long highway trip at interstate speeds). Just a quart low. I added a quart this evening and will re-measure in the morning before work.

The EGR should be here Friday and the plan is to swap it and the PCV this weekend (Sunday). I'll clean out the tubes as well.

UPDATE: EGR was fine, so I did not swap it. PCV was slightly clogged. Replaced it. Cleaned the MAF. Cleaned the throttle body, changed the rear diff fluid. Also discovered that the fan clutch is toast. No one local had one. I can source one from car-stuff.com for ~$60, but I need to wait. Believe it or not, I might be selling it today. Already informed prospective owner of fan clutch, etc. :lol:

Oh, and why the Hell did my driver's side window regulator suddenly stop working? It was working down South a week and a half ago. Does the cold do this, or did it just crap out?

where is the start a new thread link?

I looked all over and could not find the link to start a new thread. So I saw this link that may be of interewst to those who had engine failure
    http://www.sfmslaw.com/class-action-...FRwUawodbjSE0g

Looks like a lawyer looking to build a class action law suit for defective 3.2 and 3.5 engines

Too bad Isuzu had a recall. A lot of people simply didnt take advantage and didnt get their engines replaced. As soon as the warranty on current Isuzus run out Isuzu is gone for good. Which means no more new parts. Not that anyone buys them, and much exist to begin with. lol. Especially for these VX.

Quote Originally Posted by Med!c View Post
    Too bad Isuzu had a recall. A lot of people simply didnt take advantage and didnt get their engines replaced.
    What a minute. There's been no recall or lawsuit. A law firm is investigating the possibility of a class action lawsuit. It may or may not happen. Nothing has changed for now. A failed engine will hopefully get replaced under warranty. Out of warranty, out of luck, just like any engine and any auto maker.

Mark

Well folks, I know I haven't posted here much...(at all) But I've read the forum and your tips were helpful on many ocasions.
    Driving home from work on the PA turnpike Friday the oil light came on and stayed on (I know I should have pulled off and dumped oil in, but I didn't) I had plans to change the oil on sunday, honest.
    Well, Engine started knocking and, not being familiar with that particular noise I didn't imediatly shut her down.
    She stopped running and I made it to an emergency pull off and as soon as I identified that I was out of my depth I sumoned a service truck.
    An hour later they showed up.
    thirty minutes after that a flatbed showed up.
    An hour and $90 later we pulled into a former isuzu dealer. I made the decision to leave her there as that would be the most likely place to get parts.
    I spoke with the folks there and asked them to do a diognostic.
    They did and report that she needs a new engine for $8900 + labor.

I'm not sure where we are going from here...but I think my time as a VehiCross owner is very limited.

99 Astral 105k miles (I think)

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    Quote Originally Posted by Farfri View Post

I'm not sure where we are going from here...but I think my time as a VehiCross owner is very limited.

Wow, thats gotta hurt. I have only about 50k on my 83k VX

I think turning it off when you first heard the knock, would have still probably been too late.

Is the 8900 for a short block or long block?
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Wow, thats gotta hurt. I have only about 50k on my 83k VX

I think turning it off when you first heard the knock, would have still probably been too late.

Is the 8900 for a short block or long block?
    I honestly don't know. he said the price and I moved on.
    Out of curiosity what is the difference between the short and long block?
    I found this on ebay wonder if it would work...still not sure what I'm doing.

It does list the VX

I honestly don't know. he said the price and I moved on.
    Out of curiosity what is the difference between the short and long block?
    I found this on ebay wonder if it would work...still not sure what I'm doing.
    I would contact them though and see if tehy have a 3.5
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Well folks, I know I haven't posted here much...(at all) But I've read the forum and your tips were helpful on many ocasions.
    Driving home from work on the PA turnpike Friday the oil light came on and stayed on (I know I should have pulled off and dumped oil in, but I didn't) I had plans to change the oil on sunday, honest.
    Well, Engine started knocking and, not being familiar with that particular noise I didn't imediatly shut her down.
    She stopped running and I made it to an emergency pull off and as soon as I identified that I was out of my depth I sumoned a service truck.
    An hour later they showed up.
    thirty minutes after that a flatbed showed up.
    An hour and $90 later we pulled into a former isuzu dealer. I made the decision to leave her there as that would be the most likely place to get parts.
    I spoke with the folks there and asked them to do a diognostic.

$8900 PLUS LABOR? You'd still be getting raped for $8900 including labor. Find another shop ASAP!

wow bummer that totally sucks! Let us know if you figure out a better option in case it happens to another one.
    Canadian VXer!

Sorry but $ 10 k (I'm including the labor) is just not worth to do at a dealer.

You can purchase an remanufactured engine for half the amount the stealership is charging.

These engines aren't worth to be purchase new,they jusy not reliable because even brand-new you must still keep tabs on the oil compsumtion.
    Dakar was just the begining.

Hell, for $8900 you could bid on that supercharged VX, swap the motor and have a ton of extra goodies and spare parts!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Alright, well, it looks like the stealership is gonna give me a grand for her. I hate to see my baby go, but given the givens it is probably for the best.
    My only advice, is advice I've read elsewhere.
    CHECK THE OIL every time you fill the gas tank.
    I only wish I'd read that earlier.

Anyhow, Take care VXers.