View Poll Results: what year VX did the engine failure occur?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • '99?

70 55.12%
  • '00?

21 16.54%
  • '01?

36 28.35%

Thread: Engine failure poll?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fildigger View Post
    Hi, Was this relatively unacceptable engine failure issue just reserved for the 3.5 unit or did the JDM 3.2 V6 suffer the exact same problems??

And sorry if this sounds ignorant (New here!)...What was the exact cause of the main reason for engine failure and why is the engine prone to consuming excessive amounts of oil?

Picking my 1st VX up this coming Sat' (3rd march 2012) So would like to do as much preventative maintainance as possible while running the truck

Thanks guys
    Hey Phil,
    I wouldn't worry too much mate. It's the exact same engine as the Frontera 3.2 (I haven't heard of too many of them failing) ...It's as reliable as any engine out there if it's looked after... Oil seems to be the main issue... just keep an eye on the level... and change it preferably before its due. I also asked over on the Frontera owners group if anyone had an issue like this... I can't see anyone who has ...maybe it's just related to the 3.5?.... Were the U.S. models assembled in the U.S. or Japan?
    Last edited by Paul_A : 02/28/2012 at 12:45 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_A View Post
    Hey Phil,
    I wouldn't worry too much mate. It's the exact same engine as the Frontera 3.2 (I haven't heard of too many of them failing) ...It's as reliable as any engine out there if it's looked after... Oil seems to be the main issue... just keep an eye on the level... and change it preferably before its due. I also asked over on the Frontera owners group if anyone had an issue like this... I can't see anyone who has ...maybe it's just related to the 3.5?.... Were the U.S. models assembled in the U.S. or Japan?
    Thanks for the reply Paul.. always had a lot of faith in JDM stuff (particularly the important bits!)...this is why i have had a fair bit of Japanese imported cars and was also a factor in choosing the VX!

Thanks again.

ps. do you run yours on the 99 ron fuel ? (V power, Tesco momentum)
    Subaru Forester STi (310 bhp/330 Lbs/ft) JDM heaven

Hi Phil,
    Yes, I do ... when I can afford it... Lol! Was lucky enough to get a whole load of bottles of stp fuel additive for free... which I use (and it does seem to work!) with the 97 ron fuel.
    What I do when I do an oil change though (and I know it sounds "Old fashioned") is run "flushing oil" in there for 20 mins. Surprising how much more crud comes out!
    A "magnetic" sump plug is a good investment.... cheap too!
    Speaking to the guys on the Frontera forum no one seems to have suffered with rod bearing failure running the same 3.2 engine.In fact it seems to have something of a reputation as "Bullet proof." They do get similar problems with stuff like the intake gaskets etc though.
    It seems the problem is far more prevalent with the 3.5 engines.
    As they are basically the same engine just bored and stroked, I'm wondering if that extra stress is just a "little too much"........
    Something I am looking into is whether the oil cooler may be a little bigger on the Frontera than the Vx... If it is... it might be a good preventative measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_A View Post
    same engine just bored and stroked, I'm wondering if that extra stress is just a "little too much"........
    Seriously doubt that. The best theory I heard was the oil ring (aka ring land) on the stroked version set too close to smallish drain-back holes. This could cause gunk to build up over time, interfering with proper oil flow. I also think it was supposed to have been corrected in either 2001 or 2002. (not sure) If you look around here, you'll find a thread with a better explanation.

Either way, cleaning it like you mention could be one of the keys for longevity. Regular (frequent) oil changes might be a huge plus for this issue too.

Lots of people have blamed PVC valves here but I don't know that the 3.2's would have had a different one.
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette