Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tires & Wheels ?!?!

Tires & Wheels ?!?!

I like to change to something wide like these. Not really that wide but wide. More contact with the road. Something that fits on 18's or 20's that has more rubber though. I live in Chicago so I have snow and crappy streets to deal with and I don't want to have to think about what I'm driving over. Does something like this exist? I'm not sure what to ask if I got to a tire and wheel guy. The experience I've had so far is "How about you get this or that from the selection I have here" The is a Proton and an Ebony that have the same rims I'd really like.

I love these rims, but not enough meat.

I like the width here, maybe a little to wide. But, I think it make my point.

OK, so, is there a combination out there that works? I love to two VXs I've shown here, but can you get tires with more rubber?
    Hotwheels™ toy come to life.
    www.doubleadesign.com

That proton is not even a VX dude! That's a vette! The Nitto Terragrapplers meet the description you are looking for in size 285/60/18. They are the meatiest toughest widest tires that can fit on the stock 18's with no mods. They're great!
    Canadian VXer!

Do a search on tires and you should have plenty of info... Then when you're done reading go and buy the Kumho 285/60 18 good side wall 1.5" wider than stock and not so "all terrainy" as the nitto grapplers. not as pricey either. But do Search and find the answers to your soul and spriit. Damn that was good...
    VX...Priceless...Everything else there's mastercard..

This is a great start

I was searching. My problem is that I have an idea of what I'd like but, I don't understand the numbers enough to know what I'm looking at or wether or not what I think I'd like is practical. Such as the MT's I have on. I had no idea they were going to be loud. I went for their awesome look. My VX looks bad *** but those bad *** tires are driving my wife nuts.

D'oh!

I just caught my mistake! I had a link to another VX but the first one had all the elements I needed. I don't expect you guys to do my homework, I'm kinda looking for advice to enlighten me that what I'm looking for either exists or that I'm crazy. I'll follow up on the fisrt two leads and see where this leads me.

there is a site ....miata.com ??? it has a tire comparison deal. you put in what you got (size) and put in the new size and it will tell you hieght and wideth comparrison. there is a link some where . You have stock rims ??

dd:
    snow and crappy streets just about rule out 20" wheel/tire combinations .....
    imo - 285-60-18's have some drawbacks ........
    there is a strong chance they will require the cladding to be trimmed and may require a lift for proper clearance .....
    and because of the increased diameter, the speedo reading will be off significantly .....
    they are wider than the recommended size for the rim .....
    they are considerably heavier than the OEM size of 245-60 .....
    also, the increased sidewall height can be a detriminent as far as feel - turn-in ......
    just my two cents ......

285/65/18 only reguire alittle trimming,, 1-2 inches took 5 min with a rotary tool. Speedo is 2 mph at 40 about 21/2 mph at 50 and 3 mph at 60 prob. 4 at 70 . I just ignore they wont ticket you for that . maybe not recommended width but looks good .Heavier yes can't tell in performace brakes are 4 disc no problem. Love the size minimal draw backs.as so far.

Thumbs up Nitto's

Just replaced my OEM Bridgestones at 33,000 miles with the Nittos,but the 255/18's not the 285/18's. Think the 285's are too big a footprint for New England winters.

Exclamation Idea!

you guys suggesting these cool tires...Do you have pics of your rides? Are they in the gallery? Then I can see what I like and hunt you done to get more specific specs of the look I want.

anyone know....

what kind of rims those are?

Re: anyone know....

Originally posted by doubleadesign
    what kind of rims those are?
    Which ones are you refering to?
    The Bantan's Relm
    Gallery
    Myspace Page
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things we care about."

I just got my Nittos put on yesterday for 600 bucks and some change. Thank god for the hook up otherwise they would have been 900 w/ the alignment.

my kumho's 891 with allignment and they threw in a fre oil change thank heavens for discover card