Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dual Exhaust and New Shoes

I know im a little late on the exhaust but i can build you guys custom mufflers for pretty much any application. I can pretty much build anything you can dream up, any configuration you want, dual or single in and or out, extra internal baffels, steel or stainless, high temp powercoating, any size tubing, etc. So if you have any ?s or are intrested please let me know or check out my site for prices, and sound/video clips: www.morgan-tec.com

I kinda like the led tips, never really seen them lit up before.;Dr;
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

You know, if you fabbed a dual exhaust kit for the VX, I imagine you coule get some business here. I know I would be in for it. I would go get it done here but with my weekly schedule, I can never make it in to a shop, and none are open on weekends.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

For now i am just building the mufflers, you would need to take it to a local exhaust shop to have it welded in and or new tail pipe(s) installed. I would love to get complete systems goin but the tubing bender is a very large investment for me right now. Maybe in the future i hope.

Worm, most Meineke Discount Muffler Shops (which is were I got mine done) are open on Saturdays. I was going to get mine done a couple of Saturdays ago, but since I nor the muffler shop knew how the tow hitch might interfer, they suggested that I wait until I got that installed first (which was this past Saturday).

I went to the shop on Monday, but they didn't have the muffler (FlowMaster 524562) in stock. They got it overnight from their warehouse and so today was my fortunate day.

Meineke eh? No luck with those guys. Here, they wouldnt even put the PV on. I ended up going to a local speed shop to have it done.

I will look around. If worse comes to worse, I will go back to the speed shop. I was supposed to have my brother in law do it, but I procrastinated for so long that he ended up moving to Florida. I snooze, I lose, heh.

Morgan-Tec (Mike I believe it is), thanks for the consideration. I will keep my eyes open for your future projects.

LOL Worm, I had that same luck with Midas. Pulled up in front of 2 different shops in the area. Went in with pictures of a dual exhaust install that I printed from the net and showed them what I want. The counter person at both locations looked out the window and said "it can't be done on that 'car'." I showed them the pictures and say, "but it has been done and on several VX 'trucks'". (Hate when they call VX's cars). Anyone both shops said, "we can't do it because it can't legally be done." What the #(&% does "legally" mean?

I'm a little bit foggy on this...so, if I have this right, you only need one muffler, a y-pipe, and tips to have a dual exhaust (or dual look)? What exactly does the baffle do (anything besides diverting CO2)? Also, what would a reasonable cost for an installation like Bantan's or DaPenatrator be like? Thanks a lot?

-Shoota

I would like the same info. Bantan and DaPenetrator, how much did your setup cost you guys? I REALLY want to get this done. My current factory exhaust is rusting to hell. Did you guys get the high-temp Stainless that doesn't rust easily? I like the flowmaster idea. What do I take to Meineke with me?
    "If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up too much space...." -Perry Kloska

PDOGG:
    I don't believe the Meineke, Midas, etc shops use stainless pipes .......
    You may want to search for a quality 'muffler shop' - one that builds custom systems using stainless tubing .......
    if you can not locate one using the phone book, internet, etc -......... vintage muscle car and/or street rod owners may be able to help you
    t2p

IF.... you find a shop that will do stainless i can promise you you will faint at the cost of it. Most good shops use an aluminized steel tubing that is very rust resistant, almost as good as stainless an half the cost.

I purchased my setup at 3 different shops. The FlowMaster came from Speed Unlimited ($114.00). The muffler, FlowMaster 50 Series (524562, it's on their website) has one inlet and two outlets. The inlet on the 524562 is offset to keep the installation of the muffler in the stock position. I didn't have to use a "Y" connector or baffler. Because the exhaust is separted inside the muffler chambers, you get the same amount of exhaust out of each outlet and therefore each pipe. The tips (which are Stainless 304 Steel) came from Trick Trucks ($65 ea) and Meineke did the pipes and installation ($80 parts and $175 labor). The pipe from one outlet is straight out the rear of the driver's side and the pipe from the second outlet is routed up and over the rear axle, over and behind the gas tank, between the gas tank and rear wheel, and out the back on the passenger's side. Both pipes fall about 2-3" below the bumper and almost directly under the rear reflectors. I also didn't have to lose my rear tie downs. The noise from the 50 series FlowMaster inside the truck is barely above that of stock at idle or while cruising at highway speed. Only time there's obvious noise is during acceleration. But the sound is so sweet!

$115.00 Muffler
    $130.00 Tips
    $255.00 Parts & Labor
    ----------------------------
    $500.00 Total
    Last edited by DaPenetrator : 05/06/2004 at 03:26 AM

Thanks for the reply, DP!! You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you? Thanks again!

I'll try to get some picture at our DC/MD/VA Meet this weekend. Althought I'm not sure if I'll be able to post them. It says in the Rule Box at the bottom of my screen that I "may not add attachments". I've wondered if something was wrong or I just hadn't earned that priviledge yet.

WoW. $500 total huh? I guess that isn't too bad. I have a friend that works at Midas, he may do it a tad cheaper for me. There is so much I want to do to my VX, but so little money to do it! Lol.

t2p: Ya, The Stainless WOULD be expensive wouldn't it? It's a shame though when you have a nice vehicle, and put all the money into it, only to find it rusted to Ya know? I have a really nice flowmaster system on my 69' camaro, and they haven't rusted, but it NEVER sees rain! lol.

Thanks for the info DaP.

Ya, that is pretty damned pricey. I don;t plan on going with a new muffler with dual output since I want to keep the PV, so I am gonna have to Y junction the pipes. Damn shame I don't still have access to the shop I used to work at or I would do it myself.

I still plan on doing it though, so I guess I should just stop procrastinating and buy the damned tips so I can get the ball rolling. *sigh*

Can't wait to see your setup DP. Sounds like you put a lot of work into your VX. I think our meet Saturday will be a visual treat for all since we all seem to have modified VXes in this area.