Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Intake idea?

On that note, I'm sure that the intake will fit, however I'm not sure about the hood clearance issue. The Axiom looks to have a longer hood and taller profile. Someone would need to purchase and be the the test case.

As for performance, a CF intake would probably be superior to a metal one, merely due to heat transfer into the metal tubing.
    I'm personally planning on putting a CF intake on the SC when I finally get it installed.

-- Best, John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Lightbulb

Any metallic tube will impart more heat to the air flowing through it than plastic or CF.
    Good point. Using heat-wrap for the intake would be an inexpensive solution at about $35 for the entire run. For those serious about heat control you can also wrap (different product) your headers and exhaust downtubes. Pretty labor intensive, more like tedious, but well worth the effort.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Ceramic coating I also believe would be a feesable option... hypercoat, et al.
    face the mirror

What about a high-heat powder coat? Does powder coating insulate much?

Lightbulb

Nope, powder coat doesn't insulate at all, otherwise you couldn't bake it on. Best bang for the buck: Heat wrap. Although a nearly equal economical yet better looking solution would be to have an anodized (or polished) aluminum heat shield. Essentially an outer tube slightly larger in diameter mounted with thermally insulative spacer material, like nylon or phenolic.

filter

I am very interested in this mod, but know nothing about it. Could I just leave the factory tubing and replace the filter housing with one of those fancy filters???
    Enlighten me PLEASE!!!

Lightbulb

Originally posted by xdfarrx
    Ceramic coating I also believe would be a feesable option... hypercoat, et al.
    I'm checking out options on this idea....I know I heard of a place near me that does this to headers and various components...

I found this pricey option on the internet:

http://www.chillylizard.com/

what's nice is it says it accepts topcoat so you could paint (or possibly powdercoat?) over it to your cosmetic liking.

Actually...if this concern was voiced to Morgan-tec perhaps they would be willing to incorporate a process of one form or another towards insulating the intake.

I could imagine an intake for me as being coated either with ceramic or some other insulation and then powdercoated with aluminum (listed in specialty colors of Morgan-tec) and capped off with a stainless "red anodized" filter.
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 04/30/2004 at 09:06 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Jolly-
    Checkout hypercoat.com, and if you speak with Mike maybe refer him to them. They did my snowmobile pipes. As you can see on the site their stuff is pretty smooth. I would just as soon send the plenum to them for coating. It cost me 75$ for my triple pipe from my sled.

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987

Re: filter

Originally posted by tomcat837
    I am very interested in this mod, but know nothing about it. Could I just leave the factory tubing and replace the filter housing with one of those fancy filters???
    Enlighten me PLEASE!!!
    It's been reported to make it louder and maybe a little faster. For the best effect get a better exhaust to go with it.

Yes, but how do I do it?

Well i seem to have started quite the little dispute here. Hello, my name is Mike Morgan and i am the owner and builder of the Axiom intake in question. Lets see if i can answer all the ?s here

1. If i have been informed correctly the intake will fit on the vehicross, now the hood clearence may be an issue but i am willing to build a "test" unit for sale to the first person intrested for a discounted price. Then we will go from there.

2. As far as the design, as i have been quoted on here i could not get a tight enough radius bent anywhere locally. And also as stated earlier in the thread, a LOT of racing tream in both automotive and motorcycle industries use the sectioning method of making a pipe"bend". My entire Tigcraft Titanium exhaust on my bike is sectioned. The dispute over turbliance is technically a good point, but in the real world of hard dyno #s, a mandrell bent tube vs. mine is less than 1hp difference at the wheels.

3. The argument of heat dissapation is a valid point but remember you are sucking hot air from inside the engine bay in the first place. The only time i personally would be concerned with this problem is if i was running an actual cold air intake, such as air from the fender or under the bumper. I do offer powder coating and i can do high temp also, this does insulate more than normal powdercoat. The cost on powder is $40 and high temp is $50.

4. to answer the ? as to why i never made my hood scoop a functional ram air is that is not what i installed it for. Future plans for my Axiom include a Garrett T3/T4 single turbo and i installed the scoop to help "flush" the extra heat out of the engine bay.

5. a little on me and my company. I have been welding professionally for 10 yrs now and am very creative in my projects. I also work part time at a local speed shop building custom turbo kits for pretty much anything the customer wants, Vipers, Lexus, sandrails, etc. I started my own little company building custom application mufflers and intakes. I also sell stainless steel mesh cone filters as discussed earlier in the thread.

i think i hit most of the points, if i missed any or you have any more ?s please let me know. The price for the intake is $200 complete with filter ( choice of color for filter) and shipped. This intake and filter netted me 10.2 hp at the wheels in Co on our new dyno and a huge increase in throttle responce. I also build a smaller intake that uses the stock plactic elbow, this one is $75 with filter and shipped. So please let me know if you are intrested or have and constructive critisism.

Thanks Mike
    ;Dr;
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

Welcome MIke... I think we all look forward to working with you on what ever you can provide our vehicles!

Thumbs up

Welcome to the board Mike! I'd be interested in working with you on test fitting your intake on the VX. I'm working on an entire carbon-fiber hood project for the VX and your product may compliment that endeavour as it will be incorporating an induction inlet. However that's a ways down the road as I'm currently just getting the permitting for the shop where all this will be created!

In any case, definitely sign me up for the intake guinea-pig spot!

hmm.....turbo anyone?
    ________
    Head shop
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:08 PM

I can say from the follow up I have had from Mike he seems to be on point and his honesty also makes me feel even better about his work. Cynicism is reasonable as it seems WE all love to get excited over mods but sometimes (people get over on us) it gets the better of us, as some group buys and other stuff has lead me to believe. I'm getting an intake from Mike as soon as it makes sense. (I just bought a new R1 streetbike, got some sticker shock still) Thanks for chiming in mike and look forward to rocking your intake.
    Dylan