Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Intake idea?

Intake idea?

I was reading some stuff over at the Axiom section of Club VMAG and came upon a member who made a custom intake for his Axiom which has the 3.5L. He also makes/sells filters and offers powdercoating of products. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000215.html

http://www.morgan-tec.com/index.htm

http://www.morgan-tec.com/intakes.htm

http://www.morgan-tec.com/filters.htm

http://www.morgan-tec.com/powdercoat.htm
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 04/26/2004 at 09:56 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

They look really good. I emailed him.
    thanks for the headup Jolly
    face the mirror

Thumbs up

Originally posted by xdfarrx
    They look really good. I emailed him.
    thanks for the headup Jolly

Looks like your going to be our lab rat...lol. I think its going to fit fine.

He also sells a custom muffler for the Axiom which might be another option for the VX.

Also found this guy's Axiom here and he is developing a turbo for the 3.5L.

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/382403
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 04/26/2004 at 09:52 AM

What interests me the most if the fact that he has the ram air intake without the guts for a real ram air unit. With many of us looking into getting the C/F ram air scoop, and this guy already being 1/2 through that process, maybe he would like to team up and create an operational unit for it. Can't be TOO MUCH of a difference at all between the autos.

Just a thought, since it seems he has the ability to do some crafting.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I think you should send him the links to threads here at VX.info concerning your projects and perhaps he could benefit/contribute in some fashion. If nothing else..he seems to be on the same page as far as interest in developing performance/visual asthetics for his Isuzu.

Not a bad idea. I just may do that if others are interested. I would really like to see the Carbon Werks come through first to see how it can all be set up.

welds on an intake tube how ghetto! besides looking cheap the sharp bend with welded angle will create turbulence in the are flow and you will lose horsepower. Ever hear of a tube bender which leaves no sharp angles. I would put this on my VX even if it was given to me for free.

Crap design

DON'T BUY!

TYPO I MEAN "I WOULD NOT PUT THIS ON"

Man, somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

I agree, it is pretty cheap, but intuitive. If he were to fab something with the proper dimensions and form, it could always be sent to a fully operational shop for final design and fabrication. Gotta start with apples and oranges before we can move up to steak and potatos.

Heck, I was simply gonna fab the ram air guts with PVC and sheetmetal and then have a fab shop produce a final, working product.

Originally posted by Mr. I-MAN
    welds on an intake tube how ghetto! besides looking cheap the sharp bend with welded angle will create turbulence in the are flow and you will lose horsepower. Ever hear of a tube bender which leaves no sharp angles. I would put this on my VX even if it was given to me for free.

Crap design

DON'T BUY!
    I think he ran into a snag trying to get a radius bent that sharp in order to miss the fan/radiater hose. I quote this from his site:

"And here is my intake i built, it is 304 stainless tubing i cut and sectioned because no one in my area could bend the radius i needed to not hit the fan."

I remember watching a show on the making of the Harley-Davidson V-Rod where they wanted to bend both the frame and exhaust in sharper radii than had ever been tried and wound up collapsing the tubes...then they welded it "on the proto-type" as this guy did. Eventually, they instituted a high-tech process known as hydro-forming where water is sent into the tubing at high pressure as the tubing is bent to keep it from crimping/collapsing.

I agree that the welds may not be the most asthetic but I haven't seen too many options in this department. I thought the Don Moody Intake that wormgod has looks nice myself...but several had issues with it. If I am not mistaken it is not a one piece intake like this one is.

But I do value your opinion, which is what I personally am looking for.

I was concerned about the metal intake absorbing heat from the radiator/hose region. I think that the powder-coated option could help insulate it somewhat.....how much I am not sure. I also think without a feasible induction layout like Wormgod is speaking of...this is mainly a visual piece...whether one likes it or not.

PS--- Here is a handy pic of the "Don Moody/Hotshot" intake installed on Wormgods fine ride. Pic is from his website:

http://wormgod.8m.com/Images/Ebony/vx_intake.jpg
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 04/30/2004 at 08:45 PM

Actually the "Don Moody" (actually made by Hot Shot) has two welds, immediately in front of the intake, then the rest is bent into shape. Because it was designed for a Trooper, there wasn't enough clearance for the lower hood of the VX, so it had to be cut in half and rotated. I'm thinking that if Hot Shot can bend it, two welds would still be enough (same bends would be there, only the tube would be rotated to clear the hood).

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...papass=&sort=4

FYI, there was little performance gain by the intake itself, the addition of the PV muffler makes all the difference.

-- Best, John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Lightbulb

The design with the welded tube actually won't produce much more turbulence than a smooth section tube. The key is consistent diameter and no internal obstructions. From the photos you can tell he's using a TIG process and I'm sure a good inside finishing. In fact, that type of tube construction is used commonly in professional motorsport and aviation. I've seen plenty of tangential exhaust systems made like that.

Yes, hydroforming or some sort of composite would be better, but that's a helluva nice job and some good ingenuity. Plus, it appears he's got the dyno paper to prove it. Oh, and parts in stock!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

I am going to order one.... For sure's the axiom engine and intake fitment is the same as ours... Please confirm. If so I'm doing it. The stainless mesh intake is really tasty-

I read the above threads... Funny if you look at some spec really cars, and race built stuff it has welds, and doesn't neccessarily look that pretty. Pretty sometimes doesn't perform....I guess to those who think its crap shouldn't get it. As a guy who tracks streetbikes, doess some scca stuff, I always like to defer to data, and dyno's. and then it always will come back to rider, driver. I've seen guys on 600's clean guys on full liter bikes because of there riding/driving skills. As for any mods, given no one makes intakes for us, custom, 'hand' work, always is desirable to me and the vx's at large that need it. This intake fitment and my cold airbox redux is perfect for what I need on my car. Mike seems to be a car guy and that in itself is enough credential for me to have his work in my car. He's not some dood spitting stories, delays or commitments, because following Jooly's email, I went to him.....Carbon is really cool but performance will always trump looks, especially being I'm not one for hanging out with my hood open ...

Any metallic tube will impart more heat to the air flowing through it than plastic or CF.