Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bought my first VX 4-23

Thumbs up

Welcome to the family!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

The sad part is that Apex used to be a cow town 30 minutes from Raleigh. Cary actually used to be a small town 15 minutes from away too. Those used to be all of my stomping grounds. Ive lived in RTP, Durham, Hillsborough, Siler City, Greensboro, Wilmington, Asheville, Goldsboro. I can never truly go home due to urban sprawl. My brother attends NC State, and he talks about Raleigh, it isnt the same city I knew. Thats why I moved to Alabama! I hope you will enjoy the VX as much as all of us have. I grows on you very fast.

Question

Cary actually used to be a small town
    Is it true Cary is actually an acronym for Containment Area for Retired Yankees?

dkmiller68, welcome to the club! I'm much the same - I admired one years earlier at a car show at the local convention center and adored it. Saw one just occasionally on the street afterward, but loved my Dodge Avenger ES and just never really pursued it. Didn't need a new car, loved what I had.

Then one day about a year ago (wow- actually I think I brought it home a year ago TODAY- maybe we'll celebrate over a case of Royal Purple!) one showed up on a platform at a lot I go by all the time, and I was practically drooling. My car was starting to have some issues but had plenty of good miles left in it, and I didn't really want anything else. I drove by the VX every day for about a week, and to my surprise it had not sold yet.

So... a little voice inside said to check the asking price just for the heck of it. Deep down I knew that it was the one vehicle I would gladly trade in the Avenger for without hesitation, but before long I wouldn't get much for the Avenger on a trade anymore. I was surprised that the VX was priced better than I had been expecting, even used as it was, considering I too had sticker shock the first time I saw one. Once I knew the price suddenly it seemed like this dream could be a reality and things got urgent - ya know - that thing's gonna sell to someone else and I'm friggin' lucky it has been a week and it hasn't already and I must make damned sure that won't happen and I must have it yesterday! :-) Plus it was so unique. I had seen one years before and had seen one precious few times since.

So I test-drove it that Saturday, and it was in great condition. Had it in the driveway a couple of hours later. :-) It was one of the few compulsive buys that I haven't come to regret. All I knew was I loved it. I still knew very little in particular about it. I got lucky - found this great gathering place for VXers and the VX is treating me well.

I definitely do still sit around just looking at it, and I still turn around to look as I walk away from it in parking lots. I watch myself go by when I go by a building with a mirror-like exterior. It has a strict bathing regimen and goes in the garage right away when I get it home. I found a grassy spot at work beside the building where no one would even probably see it that has day-round shade nearly all year long and keep it parked there. I get pissed for a minute every week when the lawn care people my boss hires come in and mows back there and get it all dirty. Today was one of those days. :-) So I whip out the duster and clean it up before I hit the pavement, even though I'm crunched for time to get my dog to the vet after work for a broken tooth.

Oh, and if you use a car duster for little touch ups, the wiper arms do like to grab a string or two from those occasionally. :-)

Wow...great to hear from y'all. Thanks for the warm welcome to the addiction. I too, look at it alot. Everytime I see it in my driveway, I smile and say a small thank you prayer, which, I realized was a little silly considering it is only a car...but it got me to thinking about whats important and cool in life and now when I see my wife or son I say a small thank you prayer too. I believe that in America there are 15 to 18 million cars and light trucks sold every year...so divide 45 million by 3500 (number of VXs sold in 3 years) and think of it like this...after each 1.5 MILLION vehicles were made, they made 1 VX.
    Don

I believe 4153 VX's were imported to the US during 99, 00, and 01.
    I never have been able to locate production numbers for other parts of the world.
    Unlike some/many other limited production vehicles - that are barely used - the VX's do see alot of 'action' - are used as daily drivers and for recreation. Because of this, a number of them have already been 'retired' ..... (ouch).

Talking

Welcome aboard mate!

Until you pass your first milk tanker on the highway in your VX and catch yourself looking at the VX's reflection in the mirrored side of the tanker...it is only then you realize how addicted you really are!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?